Anybody else having their MacBook battery drained while on sleep mode with OS X El Capitan?

mithical

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I installed OS X El Capitan on my Early 2015 MacBook Pro for some testing. I was surprised at how stable everything seemed — there was nothing out of place but a few graphical issues on Photoshop CC and some other apps (nothing I couldn't live without). However, recently, in the last few days, I started noticing that whenever I let the MacBook on 'sleep mode' overnight, the battery would go from 90-something percent, to somewhere around 20-something percent. This morning I awoke with it at 4% even.

I figured it must be the beta for sure, but I've yet to see any documented evidence of anyone else encountering these issues, especially since El Capitan is supposed to improve battery. So, just wanted to check with people from iMore who have installed the new OS X and if they have encountered any similar issues.

Prior to installing the new OS X, I had gone 2 weeks on sleep mode at one point last month and battery barely reached 75% so I'm thinking it's definitely a factor, I just want to confirm my battery hasn't started messing up for some other reason.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You know what's weird? I connect my MBP to my bedroom TV at night most nights to charge but also, to use it on the TV before going to bed...this morning, I took it off the charger and set it down in my kitchen before going out for the day. When I got home, the battery was COMPLETELY drained and dead. I thought maybe I hadn't connected it to the charger the night before and just didn't notice, but I was confident that I did.

After reading this, I think I have experienced exactly what you said.

mithical

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
To confirm, you're on El Capitan as well, correct?

This whole mess really sucks, but I'm somewhat glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I've actually been researching and have noticed that this same issue has occurred in previous OS X versions (not just betas) to other users. I checked my Console as well and found that in 10 minutes of sleep, it was working every single minute of them, pulling up strange strings of "wakeup" words all around that I'm not quite too familiar with, but it's definitely not just "sleeping."

I'm hopeful that if it is indeed El Capitan causing this, beta 2 is sure to fix this. I'm about to try resetting PRAM and see if there's any noticeable change, will post back with results.

Mike Alessi

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I haven't had any battery troubles at all, so far. NVRAM and SMC are a good idea. You may also wish to try disabling "Wake for Wi-Fi Network Access" in Energy Saver prefs. Let me know how that works out. Post some of your console logs as well and I'll see if I can take a look at them.

mithical

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Tried the PRAM reset and although it did slightly improve the battery, it still drains way too fast.

Here's a snap of what my console looks like when the lid is down and the Mac is supposed to be "asleep."

This seems like it's doing way too much while it's asleep, no? For the record, I have no external monitors or other connected displays hooked up at the moment - what does that error mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Just popped my machine into sleep mode with console open, I can confirm I'm not seeing this, MBA Mid 2012 with 10.11 (upgrade from 10.10.3). I can't find one match in the console logs.

Must admit that coming out of sleep is not reliable.

But they it's Beta 1.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have not had the problem since the incident I mentioned above...I'm starting to wonder if the machine never went to sleep because it was connected to an external monitor and just didn't register sleep mode...it's the only thing I can think of.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm having a good bit of battery drain in general on my MBP late 2011 since the public beta of EC. I'm having some heat issues as well. 3rd party apps not installed from the App Store aren't working either. I expected that last one may be a problem, but didn't expect the battery/heat issues.

MariMac21

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes, this is happening to me lately after installing El Capitan when my Macbook Pro is on sleep mode. How can we fix this issue? Thanks

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I've not noticed this myself, however typically I leave my machine plugged in overnight. Will do some further testing.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I've not noticed this myself, however typically I leave my machine plugged in overnight. Will do some further testing.

Mine actually has actually been resolved since beta 2 was released. The first beta was horrible for heat/battery though. Now on PB5 with no real problems.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
msm0511 thanks for the update, overnight I left my 2012 MBA in sleep mode, nothing out of the ordinary when I fired it up today.

AndreasR77

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue. I upgraded to El Capitan GM and now my battery drains about 5% every hour in standby. If I let my laptop sit for a day it's completely dead. I looked at my logs and I do see lots of activity during times when system is in standby, some messages related to hibernation and lots of kernel messages. Also, Power Nap is disabled on battery.

rhulsebos

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Same here massive loss of power really quick normally tha battery lasts me 5 to7 hours with el capitan gm empty in 4... appears to bee running stable and good but the power loss is Sh**t:confused:

ktopper15

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I created an account on this site just to get notifications on this post haha, yes I have the same problem with my MBP. I charger it fully yesterday, and I took it off the charger, and when I woke up this morning, it was at 5% :no:

wkbdgeorge

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm on a 09 macbook and have also noticed the battery drain. I'm coming from snow leopard because in my eyes, it was the best os apple has made. Had to upgrade recently and found the battery drain to be very noticeable when the laptop is asleep. I'm not on el capitan beta. I'm on a full release. WTF?

davidjfranco

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Similar issue here, actually contacted support too.

2015 force touch radeon 15 inch model.

Put it on sleep with 50-60 battery, next morning it's completely flat, so flat that even the charge symbol doesn't appear, I get glitchy art :) That's why I contacted them, couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. Then I plugged it in, and it started normally - so drained it couldn't even tell me so!

*Should add it just happened again right now :)

Definitely since El Capitan.

David

florida33441

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Hi, are you still having the problem with your battery draining on sleep on Macbook Pro? I've been having it since installing Capitan (10.11.6 now). My battery can be at 80%, I put it to sleep and within 12 hours I go to use it and find it's battery drained and it shut itself down. Happens all the time. Did you find a resolution? Thanks for any help. Denise

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW