TRIM Enabler

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of ignorant to this...I run an SSD in my MBP, but as far as I know, have no TRIM enabler running. Should I? Is there a benefit that I'm missing out on? After a couple of years now, my SSD still seems to be running perfectly fine...could it have a function that negates the need for this TRIM function?

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of ignorant to this...I run an SSD in my MBP, but as far as I know, have no TRIM enabler running. Should I? Is there a benefit that I'm missing out on? After a couple of years now, my SSD still seems to be running perfectly fine...could it have a function that negates the need for this TRIM function?

I Just recently upgraded to an SSD and only found out about Trim after installing. After doing a lot of research i have come to the conclusion that it is a must for all SSD's that didn't ship directly from Apple. There is a great Mac App that really makes the whole process effortless. The app is called Cindori Disk Sensei. Disk Sensei is a great app that let's you view information about your drive(s). You can also download just the trim enabler.

Even though you say you don't experience and slowing down i would do it anyways. Check it out here: https://www.cindori.org/software/disksensei/

Disk Sensei Costs $20 and trim enabler $10

Hope that helps a little.. DO IT!

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Trim is very important. My Samsung 840 does 480/240 mBps (sequential read/write) with TRIM but only ~120/80 without it. Multiple benchmarks over three years, same results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
That's so hard to believe ... do you even know what Trim does? ...

Yes I do. It marks sectors (or their equivalents) as empty so the drive doesn't have to verify each one as empty before writing. I have repeated the benchmark with or without TRIM many times and the results were nearly identical. I got nearly 1/3 performance without TRIM. It's, of course, necessary to let the drive run with TRIM for some time to let the trimming routines finish their job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

patternjake

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Wrong. Since Yosemite 10.10.5 you can enable TRIM on non-apple SSD's with the sudo trimforce enable command in Terminal. El Cap on most configs switches this on automatically.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73