OS X 10.11 Notes app

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While watching today's keynote, I was glad to see the upcoming changes to the native Notes app. I use it quite often but have always wished I could do a bit more with it like adding photos. Now that ability and more will be included in the upcoming OS X 10.11 El Capitan release. Were you happy to see the added capabilities to the native Notes app?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I like all the changes that they put into the Notes app. You can add photos, live links, drawings, etc. Looks solid to me.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I was very happy. I've been using several different note applications because the native app didn't have this functionality. Now I can go back to using the stock app more.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
This was a much needed upgrade for the notes app. I have been trying third party apps, but the iOS integration was never there. This is perfect since most of my devices are Apple products and it is such an easy transition when using native apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Looks promising. Already use Notes frequently, and glad to see more features coming to a native iOS app.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It looks nice but it will still be worthless compared to OneNote because it has virtually no integration with iWorks and organization is terrible (bordering on non-existent).

I was also disappointed to see no update to iWorks. Oh, well. My Office subscription is paid up 2 years. I'm just waiting for 2016:mac to drop.

Mike Alessi

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
The changes to the Notes app are awesome. However, it still pales in comparison to things like Wunderlist and many other of the "Task" based apps. I really like the link preview though, and the new Attachment View.

Last edited:

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
The changes to the Notes app are awesome. However, it still pales in comparison to things like Wunderlist and many other of the "Task" based apps. I really like the link preview though, and the new Attachment View.

Well yeah, because it's a NOTES app and not a TASKS app.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm really excited to see the updates to the notes app. I use it all the time. I've used Evernote and one note and really like the integration within iOS. I have an iPhone a Mac and an iPad. Works good for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm really excited to see the updates to the notes app. I use it all the time. I've used Evernote and one note and really like the integration within iOS. I have an iPhone a Mac and an iPad. Works good for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use it constantly, too, and I think it's going to be great for new users. It will suffice for most people the majority of the time.

burdell1

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
If I'm using El Capitan and upgrade my notes to the new version but I'm using iOS 8 on my iphone, will the two still sync with no problems?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The only thing missing is tags, I wish we had tags ;-) ... One of the features that I enjoy about evernote. However with that said evernote has become far to clunky for me to use. I have very much enjoyed the notes app on El Capitan and iOS 9.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I wish they would clean up the user interface, the "fake paper" background and yellow speak to the past rather than the now or future. Agree with the above, that for the vast majority of needs (~95%) the new notes app is all anyone would ever need.

I've been using OneNote for years, performance issues (laggy typing) aside, it has been quite good, and it's got almost every feature that I could think of, I especially like the ability to add text boxes anywhere on the screen, allowing me to take notes on the left and record actions on the right. Also the ability to tag content in so many ways (rarely use, however feel happy it's in the product).

All that said, the simplicity and great performance of the iOS 9 Notes app, I might just move away from the complexity of OneNote. Just need to embrace the UI!

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The complexity of OneNote is what makes it so powerful. I use it on Windows, so it's incredibly powerful there. The Mac OneNote client is not really complex. It's basically a Mac Port of the OneNote Web App/Windows Universal App.

The ability to create Spreadsheets embedded in notes to track training without linking to external files, embed files (Pictures, Videos, etc.), link to other Notes in the Notebook (similar to a Web URL, but only for the Notebook) and integrate Directly into Outlook (Notes linked to Calendar Events i.e. Practice Notes for a specific Practice Day) is powerful.

If you don't require what OneNote offers then yea, it can seem overbearing, but if you require even a bit of it then it's going to be heads and shoulders above what this offers, and then some. OneNote can completely replace this, but this can't even come close to replacing OneNote. That's why I'm going to stick to OneNote - because it can grow with me and the way I use Note Taking software. This... can't. It's basically Google Keep for iCloud, and that's simply not even close to being enough for serious use - speaking objectively, because it clearly isn't.

That being said, it's still a massive improvement over what they currently have.

Never had any issues with Laggy typing in OneNote. I believe the editor in OneNote is based on the Microsoft Word editor (similar to Outlook) so it's kind of hard to believe you'd have issues typing in OneNote when Word works fine and is a more complex application. Unless you mean the Mac App. All of the Office Apps on Mac perform kind of bad. That's the price of using them on a Mac :p

I don't use OneNote for Mac. It's missing all of the features that make OneNote good, which makes it virtually impossible for me to use, since I require those features for how I use the software.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit