Compatibility issues between OSX and Windows?

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I still have a Windows based system, like most of the planet has... but I do have the wish to get myself a new iMac later this year.
Now every now and then, people keep saying that there are compatibility issues between OSX and Windows.

- For example;
Some people say that they're having issues sending email from OSX, to a Windows system... and apparently the email doesn't always finds its way to the receiver running Windows.
Same goes for certain files, that don't always seem to compatible throughout OSX/Windows...

* I run a company, and therefore I can't afford myself sending emails from my future iMac to a Windows system, and having my customers NOT receive the email.
Same goes for attachments, I can't afford sending my customers excel-documents (for example), only to find out they never got it.

--------------
I always thought this was a problem of the past, and that it would have been fixed throughout the years?
Can anyone please confirm?

Of course I do know that there's an option to have a Windows installation tunning on my future iMac (using Bootcamp), but it would be kinda anoying having to switch between OS' everytime I need to send out an email. :redface:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I still have a Windows based system, like most of the planet has... but I do have the wish to get myself a new iMac later this year.
Now every now and then, people keep saying that there are compatibility issues between OSX and Windows.

- For example;
Some people say that they're having issues sending email from OSX, to a Windows system... and apparently the email doesn't always finds its way to the receiver running Windows.
Same goes for certain files, that don't always seem to compatible throughout OSX/Windows...

* I run a company, and therefore I can't afford myself sending emails from my future iMac to a Windows system, and having my customers NOT receive the email.
Same goes for attachments, I can't afford sending my customers excel-documents (for example), only to find out they never got it.

--------------
I always thought this was a problem of the past, and that it would have been fixed throughout the years?
Can anyone please confirm?

Of course I do know that there's an option to have a Windows installation tunning on my future iMac (using Bootcamp), but it would be kinda anoying having to switch between OS' everytime I need to send out an email. :redface:

I have not experienced any such issues - so long as the file types are compatible with an equivalent application on the other platform (MS Word files on Windows > a compatible app on OS X - Word, Pages, OpenOffice, etc). There are some apps that do not have versions on each platform (MS Publisher, for example).

There are issues on occasion of email problems when Outlook creates Winmail.dat files - but there are utilities to address this issue. And any email issues of this type are typically from Windows to OS X and not from OS X to Windows.

In general terms, OS X can read NTFS partitions without incident, but cannot write to an NTFS partition in native mode. There are utilities to make it possible, though.

I am not sure who "people" are, but without specifics, one can assume that "people" are incorrect or ignorant of simple solutions and workarounds.

What "compatibility issues" are you speaking of? Be as specific as you can, please.

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
* I run a company, and therefore I can't afford myself sending emails (through Thunderbird) from my future iMac to a Windows system, and having my customers NOT receive the email.
Same goes for email attachments, I can't afford sending my customers excel-documents (for example), only to find out they never got it.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
* I run a company, and therefore I can't afford myself sending emails (through Thunderbird) from my future iMac to a Windows system, and having my customers NOT receive the email.
Same goes for email attachments, I can't afford sending my customers excel-documents (for example), only to find out they never got it.

Since you simply are repeating parts of your original question, I will say that I have NOT ever experienced this - at least not in any way that can be solely attributed to OS X to Windows incompatibility.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro