WAN access of hard drive connected to AirPort Extreme

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I thought I would ask on here see if anyone has got this working. I have an AirPort Extreme with a 1TB drive plugged in to the USB. It is shared and I can see it when I'm at home and connected to the LAN. I want to set it up so that I can access it over the internet. I went through a couple of forums and these are the settings I've got set up. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing or what is not set up right?

1.jpg

The Private IP was assigned by the AirPort utility software. It wanted to use Port 54 as the public TCP port but there was a conflict so I assigned 80. I tried connecting from my Parents house and nothing. So what am I doing wrong?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I haven't done this myself but I have a couple of questions and comments:
1) is this your only router or is the Airport behind another device from your ISP? If there is another router, you may have to put a port forwarding rule on it to get the traffic and send it to the Airport.
2) you probably don't want to use port 80. 80 the the standard port for all non-SSL web traffic. What those port mappings are saying is to "capture" any traffic coming to the router over port 80 and redirect it to port 54.
3) how are you trying to access it from your parents' home? By name? By IP? Do you have a URL mapping to that IP? Are you trying to use the Finder-Go to Server menu option? If so what are you using for the server name? I'm not entirely sure but I think it should be something like afp://IP-or-URL:54 where the 54 is the port you currently have set to 80.

1) I never even thought about this. So the AirPort is plugged into a Wifi router from my ISP. So like you were saying I'm going to have to look in the documentation to see if I can even get into it.

2) Sent you a PM about this

3) how are you trying to access it from your parents' home? By name? By IP? Do you have a URL mapping to that IP? Are you trying to use the Finder-Go to Server menu option? If so what are you using for the server name? I'm not entirely sure but I think it should be something like

I am using the Finder-Go to Server method and what you have below is exactly what I used and it couldn't connect
afp://IP-or-URL:54 where the 54 is the port you currently have set to 80

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK awesome gonna try that over the weekend. I have the info for the ISPs router. I remember logging into it when I first got it but since most of the things I changed were on the AirPort I never needed to do anything on it until now. So I just have to hunt the info down. I will report back once I've given it a try. Thanks for your help as always :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73