Yosemite Developer Preview 8 and Public beta 3 are out!

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey there iMore .. DP8 is now live, let's discuss it in this thread.

For those who don't see Public Beta 3 in the Mac AppStore as an update - hit your 'Purchases' tab and it will be there for your download... when I went to download just now, it did not show as an update, but was in my 'Purchases'... closed and re-opened the AppStore, the update appeared... weird, go figure -- kch50428.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Penny

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Yosemite Developer Preview 8 is out!

PB3 was there to select, but as the Update screen of the App Store refreshed, it disappeared. Have refreshed and rebooted, but nothing. Have heard of a few others who can't access on their MacBook either - maybe an issue with something on MB's so they pulled it, perhaps?

anon(5718668)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

PB3 was there to select, but as the Update screen of the App Store refreshed, it disappeared. Have refreshed and rebooted, but nothing. Have heard of a few others who can't access on their MacBook either - maybe an issue with something on MB's so they pulled it, perhaps?

I second this. It appeared and disappeared again. Refreshing to no avail.

MacBook Pro 13" // Late 2012 // OS X Yosemite PB2.

Wreckus

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Really tempted to try out PB3 on my MBA. Installed Yosemite PB1 earlier but decided to go back to mavericks. Today, i'm getting the itch again, especially with IOS 8 coming on wednesday.

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I just wonder what happened with SMS relay and other Continuity features. Seems weird to take out when iOS 8 GM is out and the official version will be available in the coming days..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wreckus

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Got PB3 on and its working great. Only thing I need to know how to do is enable translucent mode for the windows & menu bar on top. Don't see anything in system preferences (general & desktop - Screen Saver didn't have it).

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
If there are no technical issues with those features, then my guess is they were taken out because most people who have Macs will be on Mavericks or earlier, but most iPhones will be upgraded to iOS 8, and they didn't want to advertise a feature that won't work for most people.

Ahh that makes sense. I wonder why the delay with the entire OS is though. Seems to be running smoothly so not really sure what a few more weeks will straighten out.

Wreckus

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Ahh that makes sense. I wonder why the delay with the entire OS is though. Seems to be running smoothly so not really sure what a few more weeks will straighten out.

Probably has to do with the fact that this week they want to concentrate on the rollout of iOS 8 & the new phones on friday.

I can see their servers having a bit of issues if they rollout both iOS 8 & OS X 10.10 on the same week.

I'm just hoping that I can set up iCloud drive on wednesday. Doubt it but I can hope.

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Yosemite is delayed. It was similar like that last year when iOS 7 was released in Sept and Mavericks not until Oct.

But the difference this time is that Yosemite and iOS 8 pretty rely on each other. I could see Apple not wanting its servers hit the same day, but maybe a week later or so? For those who watched the original keynote and were excited about iPad relaying and Macs answering phone calls etc. it seems weird to not have them around the time everyone is updating/getting new devices.

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Probably has to do with the fact that this week they want to concentrate on the rollout of iOS 8 & the new phones on friday.

I can see their servers having a bit of issues if they rollout both iOS 8 & OS X 10.10 on the same week.

I'm just hoping that I can set up iCloud drive on wednesday. Doubt it but I can hope.

But doesn't iCloud Drive depend on Yosemite?

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree but I seem to remember there was some iOS 7 feature that was turned off until Mavericks was released a month later. I'm thinking it was the iCloud Keychain?

Crap forgot about that! You're right. In any consolation Yosemite should be perfectly smooth by October especially with this preview not being the GM!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I noticed 2 changes to the interface:

The battery icon is different when charging:

View attachment 64853 View attachment 64854

The App Store entry in the  menu now shows number of items with updates pending:

View attachment 64855

Edit: It appears to show OS X related software items. In my case, I had 3 items in the App Store > Updates tab, but only one OS X item. The above indicator reflected a single update.

Last edited:

MaxPayne79

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know why Safari is incredibly fast in the DP8 release?
And also, have they put back or somehow changed the menu font since DP7? Because I loved the font in that release, but now it looks thick and same as before.

thanx.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73