Can I make my Mac a HotSpot?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello iMore,

Did you know that you can make your mac a mobile hotspot?

Here's how:

1. Open System Preferences and go to the Sharing pane under the Internet & Network heading.

2. On the list of services to the left, select Internet Sharing. Don?t check it quite yet ? there?s a few options that need to be set first.

3. Depending on what your current internet source is, select it from the menu next to ?Share your connection from.? As you can see below, I chose Built-in Ethernet since that is how my Mac is getting online at the moment.

4. In the ?To computers using? box, select and check AirPort from the list.

5. While it is not required, it?s generally a good idea to lock down the WiFi hotspot you?re creating with a password just in case unwanted visitors are tempted to steal your bandwidth. Click on the AirPort Options button to configure these security settings.

6. In the window that pops up, type a basic Network Name and check the ?Enable encryption (using WEP)? box. Enter an easy to remember (but not easy to guess) password in the boxes below. Remember you will have to provide this password to anyone you want to have access to your Mac?s shared wireless network. Click OK.

7. The configuration portion is finished, so the only thing left to do is check the box next to Internet Sharing and enable it. A confirmation message will appear ? click Start to complete the process.

Now doing so, how would you find this helpful? When would using your mac as a hotspot be helpful?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I used to do this all the time last year when my office didn't have a wifi hotspot. If your Mac has ethernet it's an easy way to use Wifi on your iOS devices or any other device if there isn't Wifi around.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox