I don't know about you all, but OS X Mavericks is performing quite well on my MacBook early 2009 model. I figured it would be laggy, but far from it, thankfully. The web browsing is especially snappy, and I'm liking the new look the iOS 7 look. I didn't think I would, but I was wrong. How 'bout you?
    10-22-2013 07:47 PM
    REALLY wanting to update but I've been burned by updates before so I'm waiting about a week to make sure I don't hear of any common glitches.
    Glad to hear it has gone well for you!
    10-22-2013 07:57 PM
    I’ve been running Mavericks on my "daily driver" rMBP since about Developer Preview 3. I’ve had Developer Preview 6 on all of my Macs (rMBP, iMac, Mac Mini and 2009 MacBook)... all run great... no performance issues whatsoever... it seems lighter and faster than Mountain Lion... I would highly recommend it to all...
    Just_Me_D and CG68 like this.
    10-22-2013 07:59 PM
    REALLY wanting to update but I've been burned by updates before so I'm waiting about a week to make sure I don't hear of any common glitches.
    Glad to hear it has gone well for you!
    That's understandable, my friend...
    10-22-2013 08:04 PM
    I’ve been running Mavericks on my "daily driver" rMBP since about Developer Preview 3. I’ve had Developer Preview 6 on all of my Macs (rMBP, iMac, Mac Mini and 2009 MacBook)... all run great... no performance issues whatsoever... it seems lighter and faster than Mountain Lion... I would highly recommend it to all...
    I agree. It does seem to perform better than it did on Mountain Lion. I'm liking it, thus far.
    10-22-2013 08:05 PM
    Ive been running Mavericks on my "daily driver" rMBP since about Developer Preview 3. Ive had Developer Preview 6 on all of my Macs (rMBP, iMac, Mac Mini and 2009 MacBook)... all run great... no performance issues whatsoever... it seems lighter and faster than Mountain Lion... I would highly recommend it to all...
    Agreed. I've been running it since the first dev previews on my 15" retina and thought it seemed faster and have better battery life. I liked the quote from today's keynote that they wants to give everyone new hardware but they were software guys so they made everyone's hardware run better (paraphrase of course).
    Just_Me_D and linsiris like this.
    10-22-2013 08:05 PM
    So far so good on my 2011 MBP 13". Runs smooth and enjoying some of the new features (iBooks & Maps). Install was easy too. Can't chime on battery life yet.
    10-22-2013 08:49 PM
    question: what is the best way for me to backup/update?

i have Leopard on my MBP late 2010 and have never done an update on a Mac before
    10-22-2013 09:38 PM
    MacBook Air, and all is well...
    10-22-2013 09:46 PM
    Downloading now. Pretty bi so 8i'm going to bed and let it finish. I will look at it in the am
    10-22-2013 10:17 PM
    I'm taking a chance an updating my mid 2007 iMac. It amazing that it's free. Can't beat free.
    Algus likes this.
    10-22-2013 10:17 PM
    So far, so good on my 2010 MBP!
    10-22-2013 10:21 PM
    My Mid '09 MBP is running okay... A little bit of lag here and there compared to 10.6.8, especially during Shut Down, Restart, or initial boot up. But overall, I'm pretty pleased.

My install process didn't go so smooth. The Install tool froze after the progress bar finished filling up. I restarted, and went through the setup process... after which, it just shut down completely on its own. I pushed the power button and booted back up, and had to go through the setup process all over again... after that, things started to smooth out.
    Last edited by jmr1015; 10-22-2013 at 11:21 PM.
    10-22-2013 10:31 PM
    I'll be going from Lion to Mavericks soon, looking forward! Holding back to see how stable it is in a few days
    10-22-2013 10:35 PM
    So far so good on my early 2008 MacBook Pro... Maps is cool...
    10-22-2013 10:36 PM
    It's working very well on my MBP...seems pretty polished, no glitchy performance yet anywhere that I normally use. The only "problem" I've run into even throughout the whole installation process was my Activity Monitor getting all wacky for a few moments when parts of the OS were still optimizing. I was trying to see what was being effected by the optimizations, and while doing it I was getting a lot of weird code in the listing areas, and then it would go away. After it finished...nothing but smooth sailing.

It's great so far! Especially being able to respond to texts in iMessage while still working or browsing. THAT was worth the upgrade by itself!
    10-22-2013 10:51 PM
    I am going to wait a week or two for my iMac, just to see if anything weird crops up. I am also a little nervous that it will slow me down with CC.
    10-23-2013 03:01 PM
    I'm stuck on GM 1. Can't update to official. Any tips? Or I'll have to wipe and reinstall everything and update,.
    10-23-2013 03:46 PM
    I'm stuck on GM 1. Can't update to official. Any tips? Or I'll have to wipe and reinstall everything and update,.
    Just go to your Purchased tab in the Mac AppStore and you should see the Mavericks download. When you try to download it, it will inform you that you already have it installed but will allow uh to go ahead if you want. Worked for me anyway.
    10-23-2013 03:51 PM
    Just go to your Purchased tab in the Mac AppStore and you should see the Mavericks download. When you try to download it, it will inform you that you already have it installed but will allow uh to go ahead if you want. Worked for me anyway.
    Yeah thats the problem is I downloaded it off the net. I only have a iOS dev account. Not a Mac so it won't show for me. I think my only option is to wipe and reload the original shipping OS. Then load back up and update to Mavericks. Seems what others are doing that are in my same shoes. Time consuming but fixable.
    10-23-2013 03:56 PM
    Mavericks runs well on my mid 2007 iMac. Seems better than Mountain Lion was on it. I had a few issues with a music control surface app that was crashing the Finder in Mavericks no big deal.
    I only use Snow Leopard for recording music booting from a external drive. I use Mavs just for icloud and iTunes.
    Looking at getting a Mac Mini for non music stuff and use a HDTV for a monitor.
    10-23-2013 04:30 PM
    Yeah thats the problem is I downloaded it off the net. I only have a iOS dev account. Not a Mac so it won't show for me. I think my only option is to wipe and reload the original shipping OS. Then load back up and update to Mavericks. Seems what others are doing that are in my same shoes. Time consuming but fixable.
    Yeah, that’s a big freaking bowl of "gotcha". I did the same thing last year with Mountain Lion... my solution was way more expensive than what you’re facing... I bought my retina MBP and did the upgrade that way...

I don’t really see any way around it...
    10-23-2013 04:37 PM
    i have a 2013 MBA. my first mac & therefore my first OSX update. being a newer model i wasn't expecting any improvement in performance but sure enough, my system is definitely zippier (is that a word? ).

love the maps app (haven't tried the "send to phone" feature yet)....ibooks is cool too. but i'm definitely impressed with the overall system improvement. if apple releases a new OSX every year...i could see my new mac lasting a very long time....
    10-23-2013 06:18 PM
    ...if apple releases a new OSX every year...i could see my new mac lasting a very long time....
    My early 2008 MacBook Pro is on the 'Bottom' of the list of compatible devices for Mavericks... you should be good for at least the next 5 years...
    CK#CB likes this.
    10-23-2013 06:22 PM
    It's been a little mixed here. Overall performance is on par or better, but there are time it feels a lot more sluggish. Part of that may be it's really time for a clean install (this system is the last in a long list of backups/restores dating back to 2007 and Leopard.)
    10-23-2013 06:31 PM
64 123