How is OS X Mavericks performing on your Apple Desktop or laptop?

d-mnxi

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
This question was for Yester. I would like to know more in detail how your macbook pro 2007 is holding up and what it has in the way of ram etc.
I was kind of surprised that you took the leap. Beofre I do I would like to know more.
Thanks

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Mid 2011 11" Air w/ 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM -

There's a demand for more RAM / leak there somewhere -

Lion, with nothing running in the Dock and the use of Clean Memory, would routinely restore to 2.1 - 2.2 GBs of free memory, Now, same circumstance with Mavericks (and the appropriately updated Apple software) and the best I've been able to manage is 1.9 GBs, with it plummeting quickly thereafter even with nothing reopened.

Sure, I could get yet another app to figure out where the hog is, but that seems counter-productive... :rolleyes:

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Mid 2011 11" Air w/ 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM -

There's a demand for more RAM / leak there somewhere -

Lion, with nothing running in the Dock and the use of Clean Memory, would routinely restore to 2.1 - 2.2 GBs of free memory, Now, same circumstance with Mavericks (and the appropriately updated Apple software) and the best I've been able to manage is 1.9 GBs, with it plummeting quickly thereafter even with nothing reopened.

Sure, I could get yet another app to figure out where the hog is, but that seems counter-productive... :rolleyes:

I have noticed the memory usage is higher than before as well.

My mid-09 MBP came with 2gb of RAM. When running Snow Leopard, it managed. I would run out of RAM if I did a lot of image editing, but overall, it made due with 2gb. I upgraded to 8gb, and the RAM usage stayed about the same. Usually 6+gb free, unless I'm editing images or video or something.

Now, with Mavericks, I'm usually at 5 and sometimes as low as 4gb free, even if I'm just browsing the web or listening to my iTunes library. I'm at 5.35gb free right now, and all I have open is this Safari window. If I start getting in to some slightly heavier usage, it will dip in to the 3gb range... and when I close everything, the amount of RAM recovered is no where near as high as it was on Snow Leopard. I have to restart the computer to get the free memory back above 6gb... and even then, it starts creeping back down over time.

It's not a major issue or anything. Just something I noticed. I haven't run out of free memory yet, so it doesn't impact performance for my usage.

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Runs well on my MBP 17, early 2009 model. Upgrading my ram to 8 gb and my hard drive to a hybrid 750 gb drive helped performance a lot.

PhoneAddict

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I have been seeing an issue since upgrading with lagging in the Documents folders at start up. It will take a minute or to for any sub-folders to shown up. Once they do all is fine throughout the day. Any one else seeing this?

2012 rMBP, 8Gb memory.

thejerryong

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
It seems like Mavericks is eating up too much RAM.
Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 8.35.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 8.32.46 PM.png

On ML before, I barely reach to 8gb unless I got Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign open.

ghundiraj

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about you all, but OS X Mavericks is performing quite well on my MacBook early 2009 model. I figured it would be laggy, but far from it, thankfully. The web browsing is especially snappy, and I'm liking the new look the iOS 7 look. I didn't think I would, but I was wrong. How 'bout you?

Me likey the new look too :)
I have a 2009 iMAc 27-inch and although I love the new matte design pattern, I wasn't unhappy with the glossy version earlier.
It's just when I went over to a friend's house (who hadn't upgraded on her MBP yet), it finally struck me as different (not a happy different)..

For the rest, I don't have any iBooks yet, but love the new Maps.
I'm looking for a comprehensive thread that can educate me about all the other enhancements in Mavericks (will bang some doors down in the forums)

LP&HG

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
just installed after released day on mba 11" 1.6ghz i5 .2gb ram still working fine and very stable have not any issue like hanging , laps
some good functions like tag , specially finder tab is too nice function.

Last edited:

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I am in a terrible fix. I cannot locate at least 2 of my programs that I use that use to be in the downloads folder. Also there are multiple files I can't find including 3 years worth of bank statements. I need help. Is there a way to recover these ? If I roll back to OS X 10.xx will these things reappear? I'm really scared I have made the biggest mistake of my life

Alex_Hong

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
So far so good in my mid 2007 MBP. But it likely won't see the next OS X update. Lol. I haven't notice any huge performance gains.

I have a 2006 MB which sadly didn't get Mavericks. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

thejerryong

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Anyone experiencing a bug with the Finder? It flicks at the background like once or twice when I'm on Photoshop CC. Sometime it just minimises too, when clicking a tab in the Finder. I've been experiencing massive lag too.

It gets annoying sometimes already.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Anyone experiencing a bug with the Finder? It flicks at the background like once or twice when I'm on Photoshop CC. Sometime it just minimises too, when clicking a tab in the Finder. I've been experiencing massive lag too.

It gets annoying sometimes already.

Don't know if this is the same problem but, Finder in Mav was flicking or crashing on my mid 2007 iMac. I had to do a sort of clean install of Mav. The problem for me seemed to be a conflict with a audio app that loads during startup.

#Naked Tuesday

thejerryong

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I just experienced this problem just now since I installed Mavericks on the day it came out. Although the only problem I have been experiencing is the RAM issue, which I guess everyone does, and it's like the new thing of Apple regarding maximising our RAM for certain sleeping/running apps (sucks tho.)

I haven't encountered the audio bug you said. Hopefully not or else I'm downgrading back to ML.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I just experienced this problem just now since I installed Mavericks on the day it came out. Although the only problem I have been experiencing is the RAM issue, which I guess everyone does, and it's like the new thing of Apple regarding maximising our RAM for certain sleeping/running apps (sucks tho.)

I haven't encountered the audio bug you said. Hopefully not or else I'm downgrading back to ML.

The audio app I was referring to is for a audio interface for recording music. But there could be other conflicts on your system. Possibly a app that loads on startup?

#Naked Tuesday

thejerryong

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
It's probably my Adobe Creative Cloud apps. Cos when I installed Mavericks, it showed up that Adobe CC apps aren't compatible, though it still runs. But it lags too much. Can't wait for the OSX update.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My 2007 iMac is running great with Mav since I updated some apps. I just use Mav for basic stuff. I have a hard drive that runs Snow Leopard for recording music.

#Naked Tuesday

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh