How is OS X Mavericks performing on your Apple Desktop or laptop?

CKisses

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i have a 2013 MBA. my first mac & therefore my first OSX update. being a newer model i wasn't expecting any improvement in performance but sure enough, my system is definitely zippier (is that a word? :confused:).

love the maps app (haven't tried the "send to phone" feature yet)....ibooks is cool too. but i'm definitely impressed with the overall system improvement. if apple releases a new OSX every year...i could see my new mac lasting a very long time....

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
...if apple releases a new OSX every year...i could see my new mac lasting a very long time....

My early 2008 MacBook Pro is on the 'Bottom' of the list of compatible devices for Mavericks... you should be good for at least the next 5 years... :)

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
It's been a little mixed here. Overall performance is on par or better, but there are time it feels a lot more sluggish. Part of that may be it's really time for a clean install (this system is the last in a long list of backups/restores dating back to 2007 and Leopard.)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, that’s a big freaking bowl of "gotcha". I did the same thing last year with Mountain Lion... my solution was way more expensive than what you’re facing... I bought my retina MBP and did the upgrade that way...

I don’t really see any way around it...

I downloaded GM last year too but they didnt release a 2nd GM so it was fine. We didn't have to update again. I'll get it done. Just might have to wipe and reload. I do back up regularly so not a killer deal. Just time consuming.

dobermansrule

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I have no problems at all. Took about 2 hours to download and 30 minutes to install. It even allowed more space to become available on my harddrive!

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm loving it thus far. Seems to of have improved the battery life on rMBP. Not overly pleased with the look of the new calendar but it keeps in line with iOS 7 so I can see why they did it. Finder Tabs is cool, I no longer need a third-party app for it so that's good. I also like that my dock now switches screens with me as I need it, that's huge for me.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have no problems at all. Took about 2 hours to download and 30 minutes to install. It even allowed more space to become available on my harddrive!

A friend yesterday told me the same thing and after I updated I noticed I had MORE space a couple of GB's compared to what I had before upgrading. That is even better!

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
It is running great on my 2012 MBP, in fact I have been using it more since the upgrade.

Updating the iMac even as we speak. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I just installed it on my 2007 Aluminum iMac, haven't had a chance to play with it much. If it runs better than Mountain Lion then that'll be a win in my book.

patrickquirke

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm having issues with messages. Notifications are not showing up, i don't get a sound nor do i get a label on the app in the dock. All the settings show that they should be showing up. Any one else having this issue? Wen i go to the app the messages are there, i'm just nat getting alerted about them.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
What in the world possessed whoever was in charge of this to do so? Not to mention allowing models older than six years to get the update? I'm flabbergasted.

I think the the whole model has changed or as usual Apple has changed the model of distribution of system software. Kind of like iOS which is free. You buy a new machine you get the Apple apps free as if the Apple apps are like a in OS purchase.

I wouldn't be surprised if they keep offering major OS updates for free. There are no DVD's to distribute or manufacture which has been the case for a while.
It's a great marketing tool also. Buy a Mac and Major OS updates are free for possibly the next 6 years.
It's not like they can't afford to do this.

#Naked Tuesday

Last edited:

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I was saddened, but not surprised, to find out my 2007 MacBook cannot run Mavericks. Similar to Mountain Lion, it requires a 2008 or newer model from what the site details. Still, very nice of them to offer it to those who can use it. Looking forward to getting those free updates whenever I get a new Mac.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh