Mavericks is free that is great! so is iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand also Pages, Keynote and Numbers for every new Mac PURCHASED BEFORE OCT1!!! That means if you bought a device on Sept let's say Sept 28 or so you won't get the apps. Not fun

Oh I'm not one that complains about silly things but today I just felt like throwing a tantrum.
    Last edited by linsiris; 10-22-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    10-22-2013 03:19 PM
    Mavericks is free that is great! so is iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand also Pages, Keynote and Numbers for every new Mac PURCHASED BEFORE OCT1!!! That means if you bought a device on Sept let's say Sept 28 or so you won't get the apps. Not fun
    They have to cut it off somewhere. If they said Sept 15, people who bough on Sept 14 would be unhappy... if they said Sept 1, those who bought on Aug 31 would complain...
    10-22-2013 03:23 PM
    I know! and you're right, but that's not even a month!
    10-22-2013 03:29 PM
    lol @ entitlement.

To be honest, they should have only offered it to people buying the new hardware after it was announced TODAY. Apple was being gracious giving it to a person who bought a device so close to an announced keynote, given the absolutely overwhelming amount of information about Apple's keynote's that are online.
    10-22-2013 03:34 PM
    lol @ entitlement.

To be honest, they should have only offered it to people buying the new hardware after it was announced TODAY. Apple was being gracious giving it to a person who bought a device so close to an announced keynote, given the absolutely overwhelming amount of information about Apple's keynote's that are online.
    I'm with you on the entitlement thing.
    HOWEVER, Apple did promise the iWork suite free to anybody that bought a new iPhone 5s or 5c and now they are giving the updated apps free only to anybody who bought after Oct 1? That's actually giving the cold shoulder to folks that bought their new phone the first week. It should be free to anybody that bought the 5s or 5c, IMHO.
    10-22-2013 03:45 PM
    Of course, maybe I'm misunderstanding what the OP is saying. 😊
    10-22-2013 03:53 PM
    My question is how to get the updates? I have both iLife and iWork. I also just bout my new MBP a week ago. The problem for me is that I restored from my backups so the old version of my software is already installed. So for example I just opened iPhoto and it tells me that it can't open until I update to the new version. However when I run updates it finds nothing. I'm also on the GM of Mavericks so I'll try again once I install the official Mavericks and see what happens.
    10-22-2013 04:03 PM
    lol @ entitlement.

One could easily argue that with the new hardware (read: computer) announcements coming today, it was, shall we say "unwise" to purchase a new Mac in the past 2 weeks or so... and therefore, this "unwise-ness" should preclude you from getting any kind of freebies...

However, because I’m a nice guy, I won’t go there.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    10-22-2013 04:28 PM
    My question is how to get the updates? I have both iLife and iWork. I also just bout my new MBP a week ago. The problem for me is that I restored from my backups so the old version of my software is already installed. So for example I just opened iPhoto and it tells me that it can't open until I update to the new version. However when I run updates it finds nothing. I'm also on the GM of Mavericks so I'll try again once I install the official Mavericks and see what happens.
    Not sure, Ricky. There were similar issues with the iOS 7 versions of these apps, and ultimately, Apple managed to work it all out... I’d say give it a day or two and see what happens then.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    10-22-2013 04:29 PM
    HOWEVER, Apple did promise the iWork suite free to anybody that bought a new iPhone 5s or 5c and now they are giving the updated apps free only to anybody who bought after Oct 1? That's actually giving the cold shoulder to folks that bought their new phone the first week. It should be free to anybody that bought the 5s or 5c, IMHO.
    I think you’re confused. The iOS 7 version is free for those who ACTIVATED A NEW DEVICE after 09/20. The OS X version will be free to anyone who bought a Mac after 10/01. Apples and oranges. Kind of.
    10-22-2013 04:31 PM
    One more thing... I don’t even see the new versions in the App Store... the Pages that is there is called version 4.3 of Pages '09 and has a release date of December 2012.
    10-22-2013 04:51 PM
    One more thing... I dont even see the new versions in the App Store... the Pages that is there is called version 4.3 of Pages '09 and has a release date of December 2012.
    Yeah definitely think you're right after a day or two things will be sorted out. The servers are getting hammered. I just find it strange iPhoto would do that because in that case it will be a day or two before I can get it to work. I don't use it but I'm thinking of people who use it heavily. Although like I said could be an issue because I'm running the GM of Mavericks. I'll see what happens in a couple days.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s
    10-22-2013 05:09 PM
    One more thing... I dont even see the new versions in the App Store... the Pages that is there is called version 4.3 of Pages '09 and has a release date of December 2012.
    I don't see any of the iLife or iWork apps updated in the iOS AppStore.
    10-22-2013 05:15 PM
    apps just started rolling out. . . and updating. . . iMove and iPhoto
    10-22-2013 06:08 PM
    I've seen all of them on the iPad and all but GarageBand in the iPhone.
    10-22-2013 07:23 PM
    I just updated Mavericks and opened the App Store and it automatically showed iPhoto, iMovie and another update for RAW pictures (or something) and they are already updated. But I also got this message saying: "Your photo libraries will not be readable by previous versions of iPhoto"

One more thing... I don’t even see the new versions in the App Store... the Pages that is there is called version 4.3 of Pages '09 and has a release date of December 2012.
    They are rolling out! they all have the new icons now.
    10-22-2013 07:35 PM
    There was no stipulation on a date for the iPhone free app releases...it was black and white for people who bought a new device. I feel this should have been the same scenario with the MacBooks as well, but Apple has some generous people who are willing to step back a little as well.
    10-22-2013 10:56 PM
    And there I was yesterday frowning and throwing tempers like a little kid when not getting what she wants. And today I just opened App Store to get pages and there it was...the notification telling me I qualified for the free updates.

With Apple lets just expect the unexpected :-/
    Attached Thumbnails iLife apps Free with Mavericks...BUT!-screen-shot-2013-10-23-13.39.47.png  
    10-23-2013 03:41 PM
    I work here with somebody and the guy upgraded to mavericks right before 10min. As soon as his 2012 MBP restarted he got notification about new versions of iWork and other I.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app
    10-23-2013 04:03 PM