Looking for a Reminders List like Outlook Has

BTSee

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Before I switched to Mac recently, I was using a PC with Outlook for calendar functions. Outlook has a reminder list that is tied to your calendar appointments and pops up a box with your reminders in it. From there, you can dismiss them, snooze them for some period of time of your choosing, or you can leave them sitting there until you decide to take action on them. The list is there whenever you have Outlook open. I liked this method of reminders because if I didn't get to something, it is still there to remind me the next time I open up Outlook.

Since I switched to Mac I have been using the included iCal (native calendar) app. I tried using Outlook for Mac, but it doesn't work for me because my master calendar is on Google Calendar, and Outlook doesn't sync via CalDav...so I couldn't sync with Outlook (it would be nice if everybody would use or be compatible with all protocols). The Mac calendar app does give me pop ups/alerts for the reminders that I set with my calendar appointments, but they automatically disappear when the time set for the reminder comes and goes. So if I don't get a task done by that time, my reminder is gone and I am more likely to forget about the task.

So I am looking for any suggestions about how to fulfill this functionality on Mac. Is there any way to achieve what I want that syncs with my calendar alerts? I want to avoid having to get an app that will require me to make data entry twice (once in my calendar and once in some separate app).

Thanks for any help.

BTSee

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The Reminders app on the Mac? Syncs with the iOS one and I've definitely had reminders waiting when I've opened my MBP that had already passed.

Thanks for your response. I wasn't referring to the Reminders app, per se, in my post. I was talking about (and perhaps described it vaguely) the alerts that pop up from individual calendar appointments that are approaching, where I have checked a reminder setting within the calendar appointment itself when making the calendar entry.

I suspect there isn't a direct way to do my reminders exactly as I was used to, and I will have to incorporate a reminders app or to-do app to get what I need. Taz's post above is a helpful start and I'll just have to make an adjustment as to how I'm used to doing things.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I'm a big user of Reminders.
Reminders sync as expected on my MBA , iPhone & iPad.
The pop ups displayed as expected on the all.
However, Reminders has a bug in the note field when using it on the iPone & iPad that, at times, makes it difficult to place the cursor exactly where you want it within existing text. ( I've reported it)
Good Luck

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73