If I buy a new iMac / MacBook today, will I get a free upgrade to Mavericks?

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I know in the past Apple has offered the latest OS for 'free' if you buy some new equipment just right before an official release and right now, I'm looking into picking up an iMac so what are the chances Apple will offer Mavericks as a free upgrade? It seems with the GM out there and the event happening soon, Mavericks will go live any moment and I wouldn't mind saving some coin. Not sure if anyone can answer but, is that par for the course or is it something rare?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I know in the past Apple has offered the latest OS for 'free' if you buy some new equipment just right before an official release and right now, I'm looking into picking up an iMac so what are the chances Apple will offer Mavericks as a free upgrade? It seems with the GM out there and the event happening soon, Mavericks will go live any moment and I wouldn't mind saving some coin. Not sure if anyone can answer but, is that par for the course or is it something rare?

You never know... but I agree with GM already out, I’d think the chances were pretty good...

pcNevamore

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a new iMac yesterday from a local apple store and sadly there was no mention of any free upgrade :( Partly my fault as I never thought to ask, but I hope they do as in the past and hopefully include a retroactive period.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I just purchased a new iMac yesterday from a local apple store and sadly there was no mention of any free upgrade :( Partly my fault as I never thought to ask, but I hope they do as in the past and hopefully include a retroactive period.

That's a bit of a bummer. I'm heading to the Apple store this weekend so I suppose I can inquire there and see what they say.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
From observing the past... one can reasonably set an expectation about the future.... in the past, Apple has made major updates to OSX free to those who bought new hardware within 30 days prior to the new versions release... until we find out otherwise, that's what to expect..

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
They had no reason to mention it if you didn't ask. But in past years, there was about all the grace period where if you purchased a Mac and the new OSX came out with about a month, that you got a free copy.
If I remember from last year, there was a process you had to go thru entering your serial number so they could verify date of purchase, and then they emailed you a code that could be used on these AppStore to get it for free.

It was a HUGE issue last year with Mountain Lion, as it wasn’t released until after the new Retina MacBook Pro. If you bought hardware within 30 days of the release of ML OR bought the new rMBP, you got a free upgrade. I suspect that Apple will do the same this year... good customer service/PR. And it’s the right thing to do.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
New models SHIP with Mavericks...but it's a free upgrade for everyone (which was a beautifully nice surprise during today's keynote).

The iWorks suite is also free with new computer purchases... I’ve heard the date Oct 1 as the cutoff for that...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2