Hello i wonder which antivirus program that is best?

Both payed or free

For example , avast vs clamxav or sophos?

Best regards / M
    09-09-2013 12:32 PM
    I have Sophos installed on the "family" iMac - it has a solid rep...

but I don’t run anything on my MBP... just follow safe computing practices...
    09-09-2013 12:40 PM
    I have Sophos installed on the "family" iMac - it has a solid rep...

but I dont run anything on my MBP... just follow safe computing practices...
    I heard that sophos is a great choice , but the question is if its the best

Tnx for helping me out
    09-09-2013 12:44 PM
    I'm in the why run a antivirus camp. I have never installed one and never had a problem.
    09-09-2013 12:45 PM
    I never run one on my MBP or Mac mini.
    09-09-2013 12:53 PM
    Hmm but is has to be safer with an antivirus than without. Even if mac is pretty safe without one ?
    09-09-2013 01:44 PM
    Sophos... has caught things in email attachments that might have caused harm...
    09-09-2013 01:48 PM
    Looks like i have to try some one out. And i think sophos is good choice then

Tnx for all the help!
    09-09-2013 01:53 PM
    I'm in the why run a antivirus camp. I have never installed one and never had a problem.
    I never run one on my MBP or Mac mini.
    Hmm but is has to be safer with an antivirus than without. Even if mac is pretty safe without one ?
    I don’t on my MBP... but since the grandkids use the iMac, I just want to be sure... they’re devious little creatures, don’t you know?
    09-09-2013 02:01 PM
    I'm in the camp - the best antivirus is using a Mac. (And don't let anyone else use your computer.)
    Fausty82 likes this.
    09-09-2013 02:54 PM
    I'm in the camp - the best antivirus is using a Mac. (And don't let anyone else use your computer.)
    Which, again, is why there’s no AV on my MBP, but there is on the "family" iMac.
    09-09-2013 03:52 PM
    Hey, even Apple HQ got hit with malware earlier this year. Then there's emails and documents sent from other OSs that may unintentionally have something embedded that might not affect me on my Mac but cause a misery if forwarded along - so yeah, I use an AV program because I can and its no stress. If you want to live in a closed environment and do nothing but trade iWorks documents between other Mac users, swell - but otherwise, the bragging rights to Mac OS being the best AV is sketchy - and really, if it can be done for free with a minimum of fuss, what's the problem?

Its probably very worthwhile checking out AV-Comparatives - a fairly respected neutral organization that checks out a variety of OS antivirus programs on a regular basis - and its Mac Security Review. Its most recent one from August 2013. Some good stuff there.

AV-Comparatives Mac Reviews / Tests AV-Comparatives

For my part, I've been using the freeware Avast! on my Air since I got it. And yes, its quarantined a couple of things in that time. I note that it got a pretty good review in the AV-Comp reviews, so I am happy with that. Its got plenty of user choices if you don't want to go with the default (on mine for example, I've set it to check for updates daily at 9am, scans at 915am) - and the only real 'drawback' I have found is that after it scans, it leaves its icon in the Dock. I think this is meant to be a feature, as clicking it opens up its report (so you see if it found anything) and clicking OK removes the icon.

Hope this helps.
    09-14-2013 09:59 AM