The New OS X Mavericks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
FYI: The New OS X Mavericks operating system will be available today to developers and this fall to the general public.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I cannot wait to own it, which I have said a couple times now XD. I think Apple really hit a home run today.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
They did indeed, my friend ...:)

I LOVE the new power management I needed longer then 5 hours batter on my MBP, this will provide.
I didnt expect this type of update from Apple, oh and I'm going back to iOS 7 again ?Android is no use for me since the new notifications centre and the new control centre.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
It looked great during the presentation. A lot of time was devoted to the new OS.
Maybe some of you marketing people can chime in: why Mavericks & not Maverick?
Just seems awkward referring to the OX in the plural.
Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It looked great during the presentation. A lot of time was devoted to the new OS.
Good Luck

I'm with you on this, my friend. :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Good Luck

Mavericks (location) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It’s the name of a surf area just south of Half Moon Bay, on the coast south of San Francisco... not sure why, but the area is called Mavericks (with the 'S')...

UPDATE: On Tech News Today (TWiT network), they referenced the "Mavericks" and stated that the area/beach was named after dog (as stated in Wikipedia)... and that 'S' (Mavericks vs Maverick) is "possessive, not plural", as in "Maverick's beach"... and later shortened/simplified to just "Mavericks".

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If only I had a test Mac on which to install it! It looks wonderful, and I can't wait to have it!

That’s kind of where I am. I ran the betas for 10.8.4, but that was tweaking an established OS, where this is a new beast... don’t want to risk hitting a "point of no return" on my working computer.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
That’s kind of where I am. I ran the betas for 10.8.4, but that was tweaking an established OS, where this is a new beast... don’t want to risk hitting a "point of no return" on my working computer.

Why not just backup with Time Machine? Then if it is too buggy just reload with ML and restore from Time Machine. I'm contemplating running the beta I have iOS 7 so I'm not so sure if I can deal with both devices being buggy lol

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Mavericks (location) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It’s the name of a surf area just south of Half Moon Bay, on the coast south of San Francisco... not sure why, but the area is called Mavericks (with the 'S')...

UPDATE: On Tech News Today (TWiT network), they referenced the "Mavericks" and stated that the area/beach was named after dog (as stated in Wikipedia)... and that 'S' (Mavericks vs Maverick) is "possessive, not plural", as in "Maverick's beach"... and later shortened/simplified to just "Mavericks".

Tks for the explanation Fausty.
Good Luck

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've downloaded but it installed it yet. I need to have time to get a bootable Carbon Copy Cloner backup first so it's easier to go back if needed. Hopefully I'll get installed in the next few days.

That is exactly where I am... in fact, I’m doing my SuperDuper! back up as I type this... torn between excited and apprehensive... the rush of a beta tester... :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have it? I want to know how stable it is.

I've downloaded but it installed it yet. I need to have time to get a bootable Carbon Copy Cloner backup first so it's easier to go back if needed. Hopefully I'll get installed in the next few days.

I just jumped in with both feet about 2 hours ago.

So far, so good. Still trying to get things re-setup.
  • Activating Messages and connecting with iMessage was a pain in the keester, but I think I have it done.
  • Had to reboot a couple of times to get wifi to connect, but it seems solid so far.
  • I couldn’t get photos to show up in Photostream from iOS 7 to Mountain Lion, but it’s working fine with Mavericks
  • A couple of my utility apps aren’t playing nice (Moom and Bartender)
  • Had to tweak some settings with my Drobo to make it show up properly
  • TimeCapsule seems to be ok now, but initially it wasn’t looking at any backups prior to the Mavericks install

I’ll keep tweaking and testing and reporting. I haven’t had any crashes or lags or anything like that (so far, knock on wood).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods