Removing Air Parrot from Sound Preferences

kingmonkey

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded Air Parrot to stream macbook content via my apple tv but found it to be jittery/ laggy, so uninstalled the software.. or at least I thought I had.

Ever since I got rid of it, when I restart my macbook I often encounter no sound... when I check system preferences, the sound device highlighted for both input and output is 'air parrot' rather than internal microphone/speakers. Since I've noticed this, I just click on internal speakers and microphone and everything's hunky dory. However when I restart my macbook to install updates etc... it recurs and it's getting right on my raspberry ripples.

Could any kind iMore-ista advise me how to remove Air Parrot from the sound preference settings? Please consider I no longer have the actual Air Parrot software installed to use this as a route... although clearly something of it remains. I can't figure out how to do it - I'm probably being dim, so would welcome a solution. Oh, I'm on OS X 10.6.8 if that helps. Cheers people.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Have you looked in Finder to see if you can find any of the remnants? I had something similar not too long ago. Used the uninstall from the program, but it never went away and kept popping up messages.

I've found that with 4 out of 5 programs, a 3rd party app deleter is required to get everything. You might even want to install something like App Delete (my personal favorite), which can locate orphan files for you so that you can get rid of them.

kingmonkey

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
App Delete managed to locate and delete some orphan files (and those to a previously uninstalled application); however the problem persists... aaaaaaaargh.

If I check system preferences, 'air parrot' is still listed as a sound device for both input and output. I've e-mailed Air Parrot support but in the meantime, any other ideas?

kingmonkey

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I've sorted it... not 100% sure how. But I found another airparrot related file that AppDelete couldn't find and Finder omitted if I used airparrot as a search term. I laboriously went through file folder after file folder until I found another one with airparrot in the name and deleted, restarted and hey presto

anon(4270546)

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey KingMonkey,

I know this is old, but do you remember where you found the stray AirParrot file. I have the same issue you had and the removal tool didn't work for me.

Thanks.

LeMorgue

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey! Though its really old - i had that same problem today. Despite the fact i used the removal tool from AirParrot.

I found the stray files in /Library/Extensions/

• AirParrotDriver.kext
  • APExtFramebuffer.kext

wipedaler

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Found this thread while searching for suggestions to uninstall AirParrot.
Using the uninstaller in CleanMyMac 2, it also left those 2 files behind in Library/Extensions.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro