What AV software do you recommend me?

Dx3me

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Within a few weeks I'm switching from my Windows 7 laptop to a new iMac... ;)

But... I'm not sure, do I need any AV software on an iMac?
(we all know how vulnerable Windows is... and how it can't survive without AV software)

On my Windows system I'm used to having BullGuard installed for my overall security.
I addition to this, I also use SUPERAntiSpyware...
* Together they keep my Windows system running safe.
-----------------

Now I would like to know, what AV software would you guys recommend me for OSX?
Normally I would use
AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: Sep/Oct 2012
and
Comparatives||tests - reviews - reports
as a reference, but they only show Windows software...

- Is there any reference site for OSX??
Do I even need AV software?

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Adobe Flash - use a flash blocker extension in your browser and only enable flash as needed on trusted sites.

If using Safari turn off the option to automatically unzip/open downloads.

Turn on builtin firewall.

Karen,
Would you please tell me exactly how to enable the the 3 steps above which you recommended?
TIA

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Firewall - preferences -> security, there is a tab for the firewall, just turn it on. Afterwards you'll get popups when a program is requesting access and you can allow or deny and tell it to remember the answer for the next time.

Turn off automatic opening of downloaded files -> safari -> preferences. I think it's on one of the first two tabs-I'm not at my Mac right now to check.

Karen,
Sorry to be such a PITA but I don't see the two above anywhere.
Any more clarification would be appreciated.
TIA

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
System Preferences, then select Security & Privacy, then select Firewall tab.

Open Safari, the bring up Safari preferences (in menu Safari -> Preferences or Cmd,) on the General tab, there is a check box at the bottom that says "open safe files after downloading", make sure it is unchecked.

Karen,

Tks for all of your help.
And I did find the Firewall setting as well.
All is good.

Tks again

anon(161369)

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
For all who read this in the Future, From a Pen testers point of view you should seriously consider running a AV product on your machine, especially since these machines have a straight Permissions escalation process malware is being written for macs and will get more prominent as we go forward, also dont fall for all the BS being pointed at windows as I run and have ran my machines with only Security Essentials where as All Unix Based OS's have a few Zero days that are patched only through open source Repositories, which apple doesn't really manage or allow with OS X.