Old Messages Appearing in Mac Notification Center?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm running into this issue more and more lately: I'll have a text conversation on my iphone, and the next time I open my Mac, Mountain Lion will give me notifications for messages I already responded to. It also happens with Twitter mentions.

Anyone else? Is this a known issue?

Last edited:

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes as your Mac will catch up the conversation once you restore the Internet connection. Personally I like this feature.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes as your Mac will catch up the conversation once you restore the Internet connection. Personally I like this feature.

I'm curious: what is it you like about that?

Of course, I do want my Messages app on my Mac to be in sync with my Messages app on my iPhone--that's not what I'm talking about here--I just don't want all the notifications to pop up on my Mac when I read those messages hours ago on my phone.

Think of it like Exchange email: how annoying would it be if you read 30 emails on your phone during the day, and then when you got home and opened your computer it told you you still had thirty new emails?

anygivensunday

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

Of course, I do want my Messages app on my Mac to be in sync with my Messages app on my iPhone--that's not what I'm talking about here--I just don't want all the notifications to pop up on my Mac when I read those messages hours ago on my phone.

Think of it like Exchange email: how annoying would it be if you read 30 emails on your phone during the day, and then when you got home and opened your computer it told you you still had thirty new emails?

Agreed. This is extremely annoying. The Mac is hours late and is trying to catch up. Like u mentioned happens with twitter as well and iMessage and email everything. It's like when u open ur Mac your getting a walk down memory lane or something. Not ideal I could understand it a little bit if it was shut down. But it also happens if its sleeping as well but when it's up and running I'm on it with notifications pouring in on my iPhones. Not one notification pops up on the computer. So idk doesn't make sense to me. Even though i am checking them on my phone. Sometimes not instantly and 1 iMessage notification might come thru out of a full conversation but let it be sleep or off then I turn it on and it decides to notify me of everything that happened so long ago. Hopefully a fix will come and soon!

Sent from my Verizon Black & Slate iPhone 5 64GB using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I agree, Massie. I want true synchronization. If I've read the iMessage, tweet, or whatever, I don't want it popping up later simply because I've changed devices. Although the current way is tolerable, I view it as a security risk.