Can You Add RAM When Buying a Refurb MacBook Air from Apple?

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
When buying a refurb MacBook Air from the Apple site can you ask them to add RAM?
All of the 13" that are available have 4GB of ram and I want 8.
Hoping to learn this before I have to buy a new one.

Also do you think the refurb as well as the new one will be on sale tomorrow (Black Friday)?

TIA

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Only the 2012 models are configurable up to 8gb of ram and that's only if you are buying a new model online. With the refurbs what you see is what you get. No changes can be made to those when ordering.

To answer your second question, I'm not sure.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Only the 2012 models are configurable up to 8gb of ram and that's only if you are buying a new model online. With the refurbs what you see is what you get. No changes can be made to those when ordering.

To answer your second question, I'm not sure.

Tks for the info CG,
Good Luck

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
When buying a refurb MacBook Air from the Apple site can you ask them to add RAM?
All of the 13" that are available have 4GB of ram and I want 8.
Hoping to learn this before I have to buy a new one.

Also do you think the refurb as well as the new one will be on sale tomorrow (Black Friday)?

TIA

The answer is NO. Memory (RAM) in all versions of the MacBook Air (and the Retina versions of the MacBook Pros, for that matter) are soldered into the sockets, and not user replaceable. While the latest versions of the MBA do allow for RAM upgrades at the time of purchase, that RAM is, likewise, soldered in place at the factory, and are not changeable/upgradeable beyond choosing a RAM configuration as a BTO (build to order) option. RAM upgrades must be ordered in that configuration from the factory.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
The answer is NO. Memory (RAM) in all versions of the MacBook Air (and the Retina versions of the MacBook Pros, for that matter) are soldered into the sockets, and not user replaceable. While the latest versions of the MBA do allow for RAM upgrades at the time of purchase, that RAM is, likewise, soldered in place at the factory, and are not changeable/upgradeable beyond choosing a RAM configuration as a BTO (build to order) option. RAM upgrades must be ordered in that configuration from the factory.

Tks for the detailed info Fausty.
In fact, just ordered my 13" MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM this morning.
Saved $100 (Black Friday Sale)
Good Luck

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Tks for the detailed info Fausty.
In fact, just ordered my 13" MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM this morning.
Saved $100 (Black Friday Sale)
Good Luck

Good for you! I loved my MBA (11" that one of my daughters begged away from me)... now rocking a MBPr... but you will love the extreme portability of the 13" MBA...