Is anyone else having a issue downloading the alpha beta for TweetBot? When I click on the link it acts as if it is dead. Or can anyone send me the file? Thanks.
    08-26-2012 06:19 PM
    I downloaded it when it was initially released and I may have it saved to my Apple Time Capsule. Anyway, I just attempted to re-download it using two different browsers, but am unable to. It's as if it's trying to download but can't. Maybe it will clear itself soon.
    08-26-2012 09:22 PM
    Yeah hopefully it will. I want to give it a try.
    08-26-2012 11:30 PM
    If it doesn't work today, let me know and I'll upload the one I have to my Dropbox and PM you a link to download it.
    08-27-2012 10:06 AM
    Will do. Thanks.
    08-27-2012 03:05 PM
    08-27-2012 03:46 PM
    Thank you, Garz, but for some reason I cannot access the link or the Tapbots blog site. I'll be home shortly and will try to access it via my MacBook. Thanks again.
    08-27-2012 03:59 PM
    Thank you, Garz, but for some reason I cannot access the link or the Tapbots blog site. I'll be home shortly and will try to access it via my MacBook. Thanks again.
    I did find this info at 9to5 Mac

Tapbots pulls Tweetbot alpha Mac app due to Twitters user cap | 9to5Mac

Tapbots pulls Tweetbot alpha Mac app due to Twitters user cap

Tapbots, the brains behind Tweetbot, just confirmed in a blog post that Twitters latest API changes forced the developer to pull its popular alpha Mac app. Twitter recently announced it would begin placing user caps on third-party Twitter clients, and Tapbots claimed today that it unsuccessfully tried to work with the micro-blogging service to keep its alpha live without going over the allotted cap.

According to Tapbots:

As some of you may have already noticed the download link for the Tweetbot for Mac alpha no longer works. Twitters latest API Changes means now we have a large but finite limit on the number of user tokens we can get for Tweetbot for Mac. Weve been working with Twitter over the last few days to try to work around this limit for the duration of the beta but have been unable to come up with solution that was acceptable to them. Because of this weve decided its best for us to pull the alpha.

Clients are limited to 100,000 user slots, otherwise known as tokens, as of Aug. 16 (or 200,000 users if they were already above the cap). Folks who decide not to use a client can add their slot back to the open pool by logging into Twitter and revoking access to the app. If this does not occur, the slot is no longer available.

Tapbots chose to pull its Tweetbot alpha due to the limit. This will save slots for the eventual release of the app, which is still in development and eyeing release in the near future. In the blog post, Tapbots further recommended users revoke access to any idle third-party Twitter clients registered on their accounts.

We wish we could continue on but we didnt make the rules, we just have to live within them. Again sorry for the hassle and thank you very much to everyone that has provided valuable feedback during the alpha, Tapbots concluded.
    Last edited by Fausty82; 08-27-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-27-2012 04:12 PM
    Basically it said it was pulled to save token slots due to these caps now.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-27-2012 04:14 PM
    08-27-2012 04:17 PM
    I am assuming this boils down to money via revenues from ads. I mean, people are still using the Twitter service but not all of them access Twitter via the web interface or via the official Twitter app. If the objective is to acquire Twitter users then it wouldn't matter how the site is accessed, but if the objective is to acquire revenue from the users via ads then yeah, having users access the service via third-party apps will take away from that, especially popular apps like Tweetbot. At least that's my take on it.
    08-27-2012 04:31 PM
    I am assuming this boils down to money via revenues from ads. I mean, people are still using the Twitter service but not all of them access Twitter via the web interface or via the official Twitter app. If the objective is to acquire Twitter users then it wouldn't matter how the site is accessed, but if the objective is to acquire revenue from the users via ads then yeah, having users access the service via third-party apps will take away from that, especially popular apps like Tweetbot. At least that's my take on it.
    I really think that Twitter is cutting off its nose to spite its face on this one. It was all of the 3rd party apps that made Twitter work, helped make it mainstream and bought innovation and direction to Twitter... and this is how they thank them? For my part, I now refuse to use the native Twitter app or the website... if Twitter ends up killing off my client of choice (Tweetbot on all platforms), I simply won't play... This is pure B.S., IMHO.
    08-27-2012 06:52 PM
    I really think that Twitter is cutting off its nose to spite its face on this one. It was all of the 3rd party apps that made Twitter work, helped make it mainstream and bought innovation and direction to Twitter... and this is how they thank them? For my part, I now refuse to use the native Twitter app or the website... if Twitter ends up killing off my client of choice (Tweetbot on all platforms), I simply won't play... This is pure B.S., IMHO.
    I'm with you on this one, my friend. What you stated was on-point in my opinion. Trying to make money via ads is one thing, but if the end game is to force users of its service to use only their app by slighly restricting the very apps that help make it what it is today is a mistake similar to the healthcare law. Like Rene stated in a blog (I believe), Twitter is trying to appeal to the users who follow celebrities and the like and whom apparently, outnumber power users and people like me who tweet specific tweets (politics). They're taking a page from President Obama by appealing to the young, inexperienced and easily impressionable while those of us who know the difference between giving an answer and answering a question are ignored until a time when money & wisdom are needed to bail them out. Anyway, thank you for the reply and enjoy the rest of your day.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 08-27-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    08-27-2012 07:07 PM
    If you already have access to the Tweetbot Alpha version, you can now get the new beta (v0.8) version

Here's a link to the blog announcing the beta release.

And here's a link to the beta version.

But because Twitter is being a **** about the whole process, if you don't already have the alpha version installed and with accounts logged in, you can't activate accounts on the beta, either. Here's the link to that info.
    08-31-2012 04:05 PM
    I wish I would have got the beta for this before it was pulled. However, I see it is v 0.8. Won't be long before 1.0 and I can download it.
    08-31-2012 04:11 PM
    The new beta is nice. Very nice.
    08-31-2012 04:12 PM
    The new beta is nice. Very nice.

Yes, it is...
    08-31-2012 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD