I placed an icon on my desktop for macintosh HD and I don't know how to remove it. i thought that if I right clicked it there would be an option to delete shortcut or something like that but there isn't. I am currently running Mountain Lion on my late 2011 MBP.

Any idea how I delete or move the icon off the desktop?
    08-20-2012 07:53 PM
    Right click & move to trash... that will take it off the desktop. If it's an alias to something, it will still be in its original location.

Edit to add: My bad... that works for everything but the MacHD icon if in the desktop... I missed the part about the HD when I replied.
    Last edited by kch50428; 08-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    08-20-2012 07:58 PM
    The best way to do this is to go to "Finder" and preferences, and make sure the hard drive isn't clicked to be shown on the desktop...as far as i knew, you couldn't drag and drop the HD icon on the desktop as an "alias" icon (but i could be wrong about that)...

Finder > Preferences > General > "Show these items on the desktop", un-click "Hard disks"
    Fausty82, crackercraig#IM and Alli like this.
    08-20-2012 08:30 PM
    The best way to do this is to go to "Finder" and preferences, and make sure the hard drive isn't clicked to be shown on the desktop...as far as i knew, you couldn't drag and drop the HD icon on the desktop as an "alias" icon (but i could be wrong about that)...

Finder > Preferences > General > "Show these items on the desktop", un-click "Hard disks"

Thanks Sean. I did exactly as you suggested and it worked perfectly.
    08-20-2012 08:42 PM
    I was going to ask if he meant the icon picture itself or the or the actual drive showing up.
    08-20-2012 09:23 PM
    Thanks Sean. I did exactly as you suggested and it worked perfectly.
    No problemo!
    08-20-2012 09:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD