I am looking to add an external drive to my time capsule for my music and movies. My tc is a 1TB and I have 3 mac's backing up to it. I currently have a 400GB Maxator drive that I will be wiping and I also had a 1TB Acom data drive but I think the enclosure is bad. I haven't had a chance to open it up to see what brand it is or to plug it into another enclosure, i read reviews saying thats the most common issue with that model.

The Maxator drive wont be big enough for all of my music & movies

I dont really care for WD drives, i have had to replace my macbook drive twice in the past year because of failure.

I have read that Seagate is a better brand to go with. Just looking for other peoples opinions/experience.

Thanks
    08-19-2012 12:54 AM
    Their all the same man, lol...we have multiple drives at our home and the only one we ever had routine issues with to the point of having to replace it was a LaCie 500GB thunderbolt drive. Our WD drives are daily use drives in our media center network and they've been chugging along like it's nothing for years.
    08-19-2012 11:08 AM
    I really really like my seagate.
    It comes with a program on the HDD that enables use between a Mac format and windows.
    It comes with USB 3.0, not that it helps monumentally on a 7200 RPM drive. But it's nice to have.
    I believe they also have a little longer warranty than most, but I can't remember.

You'll read a lot of flip flops on externals. It's not a particular brand, externals just have a little higher failure rate. Just go with a reputable brand and you Should be good.
    08-19-2012 03:11 PM
    In my years of repairing and fixing I tend to use either WD or Seagate drives. But for externals I use the WD MyBook drives. I really like the look of them and had alot of success with them. I'm actually looking to get a MyBook Studio drive not only for the look but need a bigger capacity. A backup for the backups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-19-2012 05:22 PM
    I bought a 1 TB free agent. Looks like a solid drive. Very few negative reviews on newegg
    08-19-2012 10:51 PM
    The WD my drive live looks pretty good. Has anyone used it or know anyone thy has??
    08-22-2012 04:17 PM
    I have 2 of the My Book Live (assuming that is what you're referring to) drives at home (both are 2TB), we got them at office depot when they had a tax free sale and 20% coupon that brought the total on both of them to right under $200. The features it goes on and on about are really things you can do with any drive...and they do not sync any easier to the Live TV modules than any other drive (we have on of the WD drives and one Seagate drive running on our home media network that uses 3 of the Live TV modules...they all connect and disconnect the same in about the same amount of time).

The router connection is possible with any drive if your router supports such things...i simply bought them because the price was so cheap ($89.99/each if i recall correctly).
    dmt316 and DaPhoneking like this.
    08-22-2012 04:33 PM
    That would be the drive I am talking about. I was thinking the 2 or 3 TB drive set up as a raid just for my media. I read some reviews that it doesn't always work with iTunes. Have you had any issues??
    08-22-2012 05:09 PM
    That would be the drive I am talking about. I was thinking the 2 or 3 TB drive set up as a raid just for my media. I read some reviews that it doesn't always work with iTunes. Have you had any issues??
    We have iTunes connected to our LaCie drive so i couldn't tell you about that honestly.

They have been very reliable drives though for media purposes (and when i say media purposes, im talking constant use loading, unloading and streaming movies, TV shows and projects my wife works on (she's a film producer so she's constantly reviewing videos and audio from those 2 drives on our larger screen TV's in the living room and bedroom).
    08-22-2012 08:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD