MBP freezes

pastapapa50

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a 13" MBP, purchased end of 2011, running OSX Lion 10.7.4. I like to browse with Google Chrome. I can run it for several hours, but then it randomly freezes the whole computer. I have to shut down using the power button. This has been going on for months, but I am just now asking for help. I am sure that this has been dealt with in other discussions, but I haven't found anything about a MBP or whether there has been a resolution/ workaround, besides going back to Safari. I have seen that it has been recognized as a problem with the Mac Air, and there is another post about a similar problem with an iMac.

1. What other threads have dealt with this?
2. Have Google or Apple offered a solution to this problem?
3. Does Mountain Lion have the same vulnerability with Chrome?
4. I'm sure that manually turning my computer off has left lots of fragmented files on my HD. Is this a problem? Does the OS clean them up? Should I do something to clean the fragmented files from my HD?

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't use Chrome, but my wife does...she has never complained about any kind of issue in this regard. Have you removed the browser and reloaded it fresh onto the machine? It is a possibility the version you have has some kind of corruption...

Another question i would pose would be have you tried using Safari to try and mimic the same response with the native browser? (this would at least rule out some kind of issue with a deeper route in the machine itself)

I have heard that Chrome has some issues with flash inputs on chrome within OSX...this thread seemed relevant to your issue.

Issue 113703 - chromium - Chrome on dual-GPU NVIDIA/Intel MacBook Pro hangs browser and sometimes machine, 10.7+ - An open-source browser project to help move the web forward. - Google Project Hosting

...out of curiosity, instead of restarting your machine, have you used Activity Monitor to "Force Quit" the Chrome app?

pastapapa50

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Thank you.

Thank you for your help, Sean. I switched to Safari yesterday and have not had the same problem yet. I like the layout of Chrome better, though. And since I live internationally, it will automatically translate local pages to English for me. That is a real benefit. I have attempted to force close the page, but it won't close always. I will check out the link you provided for more info.

What about cleaning up my HD? Is that necessary or will the OS overwrite lose data left from manual closures and restarts?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Given your description of the issue, i doubt cleaning up your HD would make much difference...clearing out the cache on Chrome and resetting it periodically might help, but given the frequency of the issue you described, I'd say the issue is probably still with the installed version of Chrome you have. The easiest approach would be deleting Chrome and reinstalling it fresh (making sure it's completely updated).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading more and more that Chrome, left open for long periods of time causes major issues within OSX, and that a fix is on the way...so it may honestly be something you yourself cannot fix until an update is available from Google.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73