So I like the current MacBook Pros for the optical drive, but I want the new OS - Mountain Lion.

My question is, will the older models get the new OS this summer when all that comes out? I know they'll be cheaper, but will I have to upgrade the OS separately?

Thanks!!
    04-21-2012 08:09 PM
    So I like the current MacBook Pros for the optical drive, but I want the new OS - Mountain Lion.

My question is, will the older models get the new OS this summer when all that comes out? I know they'll be cheaper, but will I have to upgrade the OS separately?

Thanks!!
    Typically the OS X upgrade will be available free for a fixed period of time - usually 2 months for computers purchased within that timeframe prior to the release of the new OS X - for example, if Mountain Lion is released on June 1, typically computers purchased by April1 will get a free upgrade... but even if they don't, the new version is typically $30 and can be installed on up to 5 machines within the same home/family.
    NINnerd likes this.
    04-21-2012 08:27 PM
    Thanks.

Let me ask you this - does the optical drive add a lot of the weight to the MBP?
    04-21-2012 10:35 PM
    Thanks.

Let me ask you this - does the optical drive add a lot of the weight to the MBP?
    Can't say for sure... my MBP has it... don't know what it feels like to not have one. My work laptop is a ThinkPad with the removable ultrabay (interchangeable options for optical disk or 2nd hard drive) and that optical drive by itself weighs just a few ounces... so I'd think there won't be much weight from the optical drive in a MBP... but removing the optical drive may allow Apple to make the MBP with a lower profile (that is, thinner).
    NINnerd likes this.
    04-21-2012 11:21 PM
    Yah, the salesperson I talked to said they were going to move towards a slimmer design for the MPB, like the Air.
    04-22-2012 02:54 AM
    Yah, the salesperson I talked to said they were going to move towards a slimmer design for the MPB, like the Air.
    That is definitely what is being rumored... I guess we'll know for sure shortly...
    04-22-2012 10:25 AM
    Yah, I may choose that design over the optical drive. MBPs are a little heavy for me already.
    04-22-2012 12:22 PM
    Here's another question (I didn't want to create a separate thread) - What's the rumored time frame that the new Macs will come out?

I ask because my Dell is seriously dying on me, but I'm trying to hold out.
    05-03-2012 02:23 AM
    Here's another question (I didn't want to create a separate thread) - What's the rumored time frame that the new Macs will come out?

I ask because my Dell is seriously dying on me, but I'm trying to hold out.
    It's hard to say... the Ivy bridge processors are out from Intel... so I would think they're "on the way"... but I haven't heard any rumored dates for release...
    NINnerd likes this.
    05-03-2012 02:20 PM
    It's hard to say... the Ivy bridge processors are out from Intel... so I would think they're "on the way"... but I haven't heard any rumored dates for release...
    Ok, thank you.
    05-03-2012 02:27 PM
    Ok, thank you.
    I'm a bit anxious, too... my son needs a new laptop and I'm thinking of getting the new model and passing my current 15" MBP down the line...
    05-03-2012 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD