I'm graduating in June and I'm thinking of buying a MacBook Pro as a grad present for myself. I went to my local Apple Store and according to the salesman who helped me the 13" would be perfect for me. I usually my computer to browse the Internet, listen to music, basic photo/video editing, and word processing.

What I would like to know is if I should get the 13", and what are the ideal specs. This would be my first Mac. Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

*I know threads like this have been posted ad nauseam here, I apologize JIC*
    04-20-2012 02:43 PM
    The ideal specs really depend on your needs. Sounds like you can get away with a minimum of everything.
    04-20-2012 02:51 PM
    I agree with Alli. The line of MacBook products are very powerful and with the exception of the screen size, hard drive space and processor speed, they are pretty much the same. When I purchased my MacBook back in early '09, I was torn between it and the MacBook Pro and when I got right down to it, the MacBook won out and I haven't regretted making the purchase.
    04-20-2012 03:42 PM
    If you're going to use it as a desktop replacement (and if you have the extra cash) I would recommend going 15" or 17".

If you're going to take it with you, go with 11" or 13". Up to you.

I myself use a 17" MBP and dread lugging it around with me (part of the reason I got an iPad)
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-20-2012 03:46 PM
    ...(snipped)
    If you're going to take it with you, go with 11" or 13". Up to you.
    ...(snipped)...
    Personally, I think the 13" is perfect for all around use. It's small enough for transporting and large enough for old eyes..
    04-20-2012 03:51 PM
    Agreed...I just got a 13" to replace a 15" Windows machine, and I love it. My wife's 15" MBP seems huge by comparison...the only reason I'd go with hers is for movie watching. I figure that for work reasons, I can always plug the 13 into an external display, and still keep the portability.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-20-2012 05:28 PM
    Also take a look at the refurbished Macs on Apple's website. You can save a good deal of money on their open box Macs and you get the one year Apple care warranty included.
    04-20-2012 06:11 PM
    True! I bought my mbp refurbished and saved 200 bucks.
    04-20-2012 06:22 PM
    I prefer the larger screen... and have a 15" MacBook Pro... my wife has an 11" MacBook Air (which, BTW has the same screen resolution as the standard 13" MacBook Pro). For me, that screen is not big enough for stuff like viewing web pages, etc... and you mentioned light video editing? I'd definitely want a larger screen for that.

The 15" MBP is not too large to carry around, but it is bigger/heavier than the 11" MBA. I'd have to imagine that the 13" would be about midway between the two, fron a physical size POV.

One more thing to consider: the new MacBook line is rumored to be coming any time after the end of April... waiting should score you a better spec'ed machine or a discount on the current crop of machines...

But whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. You know what they say: once you go Mac, you never go back.
    04-20-2012 06:32 PM
    Agreed...I just got a 13" to replace a 15" Windows machine, and I love it. My wife's 15" MBP seems huge by comparison...the only reason I'd go with hers is for movie watching. I figure that for work reasons, I can always plug the 13 into an external display, and still keep the portability.
    Exactly! If or when I replace my MacBook, it will be with another 13". No doubt about it.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    04-20-2012 06:51 PM
    Thank you all for your advice. My current laptop's screen size is the same as the 13" MBP (13.3) so adjusting to a small screen will not be an issue. If there's a new version coming out I will definitely wait; since Macs are such a big investment I would like to get the latest, although getting a refurbished one will be one of my options too.

Again, thanks!
    04-20-2012 08:46 PM
    I'm anxious to see what comes out next. I love my 11" MacBook Air, but the small disk size is killing me. If the next line of MBP is truly in the same form factor as the Air, I may decide to go for the Pro and move up to 13"...even 15" - if it fits in my purse.
    04-21-2012 10:49 AM
    I got my first MBA 2 days ago and I love it. I had an iMac before but this feels like a completely new experience.
    04-21-2012 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD