Macbook air? student question.

dyllonsdabaum

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I recently graduated high school and will be attending college very soon. I want to study web design or be a software engineer. I use my iphone most of the time, but think it might be a good idea to buy a macbook air because it seems ideal for the college life especially for the classes I'll be taking. It is a big financial decision for me since i'm only 18 a bussing tables :D but I am a huge tech geek and it definitely wont be going to waste. Is it right for me? Should I go with the macbook pro for any reason? (probably overkill), If there is ANY advice, input or even experiences that you would like to share feel free to enlighten me!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You might want to check with the school you'll be attending. Most engineering and web design is still done - or at least taught - on pc's. Even if your plan is to run Windows apps on Parallels, you won't have the space to do this on an MBA and it would be cheaper to buy a pc.

But check with the school to see what your classes will require.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
And it depends on when you're starting school... Apple has a rumored refresh of the laptops (MBP, MBA) coming in the next few weeks/months. I'd say wait and see what they do with the line before making a purchase.

The biggest difference between the MBA and MBP at this point is screen size and storage capacity.

The MBA all use ONLY SSDs, and the MBP uses ONLY standard hard drives, so the storage capacity is significantly less (256GB vs 750GB in the max configurations at this point).

Also, there is no 15" MBA at this point (though one is rumored for the new refresh)... so you're looking at a 13" max scree size for an MBA and up to 17" for MBP. On the positive size, the 13" MBA has a resolution of 1440 x 900, which is the same resolution as the stock screen on the 15" MBP.

Good luck with your decision and your education.

dyllonsdabaum

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
And it depends on when you're starting school... Apple has a rumored refresh of the laptops (MBP, MBA) coming in the next few weeks/months. I'd say wait and see what they do with the line before making a purchase.

The biggest difference between the MBA and MBP at this point is screen size and storage capacity.

The MBA all use ONLY SSDs, and the MBP uses ONLY standard hard drives, so the storage capacity is significantly less (256GB vs 750GB in the max configurations at this point).

Also, there is no 15" MBA at this point (though one is rumored for the new refresh)... so you're looking at a 13" max scree size for an MBA and up to 17" for MBP. On the positive size, the 13" MBA has a resolution of 1440 x 900, which is the same resolution as the stock screen on the 15" MBP.

Good luck with your decision and your education.
makes sense good thinking i'll prolly put it off until i figure out what they come out with next. and thanks guys for all the input. much appreciated! :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73