Lion/Windows 7 File Sharing Problem

Manchild Pr0digy

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to get my new iMac to connect the Windows 7 PC that I use as a file server so I can transfer all of my music, movies, etc. over to the iMac. However, I can't seem to get it to work. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong at this point.

Not being very familiar with Macs or any of their networking quirks, I did some searching on Google and came upon this tutorial. I followed every step in this guide to the letter (though some of the steps were a no-brainer). Anyhoo, when I try to access the Windows PC in Finder (by typing smb://name or smb://ipaddress) I just get a dialogue box telling me that the connection failed.

What really bugs me is that, from the Windows PC, I can see the iMac on the network. But as far as the iMac is concerned, the Windows PC doesn't exist (or is just stubbornly refusing to accept the fact that it does). Like I said, I really have no idea what to do anymore. At this point I'm going to have to go out and buy an external drive so I can transfer the files. I've been thinking about this since last night and I just can't come up with any logical reason why this won't work.

Anyone here have any ideas about what I might be doing wrong? I'm tech savvy for sure, but networking has always been the bane of my existence. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711