Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I'm lazy, just shut the lid

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
When you shut down your MacBooks at night, do you shut it down or put into sleep mode? Just curious to see what others do.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just close the lid and put it to sleep. There have been occasions that I have just left it "on" and let it go to sleep on its own... I have had my MacBook Pro since last September and could count on one hand the number of times that I have shut it down... I just close the lid...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I just close the lid and put it to sleep. There have been occasions that I have just left it "on" and let it go to sleep on its own... I have had my MacBook Pro since last September and could count on one hand the number of times that I have shut it down... I just close the lid...

I asked this same question on twitter. Most answer are just close lid as well. I guess there really is no need for me to shut down every night.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I hard boot it but that can leave scuff marks lol. I never use sleep, have never used it on any of my Windows PCs and neither my Macs. I don't trust my computers to do things automatically I like to have control over what it's doing. I also had bad experiences at work with computers that went to sleep and slipped into a coma requiring me to extract data and reload the OS. I also had users who closed the lid on their laptop and ran around all day and the HDD was spinning so at the end off the day it was toast from all the movement.

SurfinUSA

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I find it weird that so many are shutting it down. I certainly understand Ipheuria's bad experience leading to not trusting and wanting to have full control, which you do! I've had by MBP for 3 years and have probably shut down twice and restarted a dozen or so times. I find it really convenient to just pick up where I left off and have never experienced anything lagging due to not shutting down. As far as not 'trusting' the computer to do stuff automatically,

How do you guys feel about the new 'autosave' for docs throughout the Os. I'm a bit leery myself about that one, but if it is reliable would be really awesome!

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I usually have my Macbook Pro plugged into a external monitor & keyboard, so I just let it fall asleep. When I am out and about I just shut the lid.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Lid close. I actually asked this question at a free class in an Apple store I attended. Closing the lid I was told is the same thing as shut down on these newer models and only shut downs need to be used unless your having some issues or your Macbook is not going to be used again for a long time.

hggs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I only shut down when MBP is acting weird (10.7.1, mid '09, 13 inch), which has been perhaps 4 times this year so far, and restart on updates that require it. Rest of the time, I just shut the lid. Sometimes I do it from end of Friday work day 'till start on Monday without it plugged in and it has about 85% charge, so closing lid works great for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR