Lion upgrade hiccups

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Could be just me. My install over existing OSX seemed to go fine. I had a folder on my desktop with all my beta stuff in it - it now has no title, nor can I change the folder's name.

I have played extensively with the gesture menu, but seem to have lost the ability to quickly scroll all the way to the top/bottom of a web page. Used to be 3 fingers up/down. Is it no longer possible or am I overlooking it?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I had a little hiccup too...i had a folder that included all my wallpaper files, and as i was moving it to the new finder side bar for quick access, i accidentally duped it into one of the other folders. Naturally i just deleted the newly created folder and left the old one in the side bar, but for some reason when i trashed it, it deleted both of them, along with all my wallpaper files...

Thankfully they were backed up on my external at home, but it was interesting that it would pull the main folder along with that duped folder when i trashed them...like it was the same folder mirrored, and not just copied.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I've had a few experiences like that. It's hard to tell sometimes if you're moving/copying/mirroring on OSX. I still prefer the Windows method of right click and chose "move" or "copy." Makes things like copying from a Dropbox folder miserable.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's just strange because for the years and years i've been using OSX, i've never had that happen before, but doing some research online, it seems (like you said), that it isn't something strictly happening in Lion.

Anyone notice any laggy lock screens? I did a fairly large update earlier and noticed that when signing in with password, it seemed a little less "smooth", it seemed to get hung up a couple of times, then out of curiosity i reset it to try it again, and in the same spot (when it loads the sign in block and then again when it starts the sign in process) it got a little glitchy.

Maybe just first day jitters, who knows.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed that simply moving the mouse/trackpad won't wake OS X Lion up... you actually have to click a button/pad. On Snow Leopard, simply moving the mouse or swiping the track pad would get the job done...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Dittos to that Hank...

Another annoyance: inline PDF files in Safari... not happening.

I didn't use Safari in Snow Leopard... haven't tried it yet in Lion - but I hear it's vastly improved... haven't had inline PDF for FF since version 3 something... Chrome has it, so I'm happy. :)

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that simply moving the mouse/trackpad won't wake OS X Lion up... you actually have to click a button/pad. On Snow Leopard, simply moving the mouse or swiping the track pad would get the job done...

+1 to this Hank

Cant stand this, its rather annoying and now im switching back to Snow Leopard until some updates come out.

Will switch over when the kinks are gone hopefully.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Well I'm diggin' Lion, love it! Just have a few minor annoyances so hopefully those will be worked out in patches.
Annoyances -
Transition between spaces has a delay. In Snow Leopard it was instant and smoothe I could quickly switch between my OSes. Now when I switch from one space to another there is a 1-2 sec delay every time before the dock shows up on the Mac side or the dock disappears on the Windows space.
No more number in the taskbar to show the space you're in. (By design) there's mission control now which is useless to me but at least I can use different wallpapers on each space.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Too good to not pass along... (Source: Joy of Tech)

Apple News | Introducing OS X Lion's New Gestures [Joy of Tech]
Friday, 22nd July 2011, 02:07 pm

The Joy of Tech takes a few swipes at OS X Lion's new gestures in the comic below.

Have a look!

55660.png

Gothdad

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I just love Lion, BUT having a little problem. Everytime i try to print from Google Chrome it chashes. Very annoying... But Safari works like a charm.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am having SERIOUS issues with Launchpad...

1) how do you delete apps?
2) how do you delete Apple apps?
3) I have duplicate apps like FaceTime, iChat and all of my iLife apps. WTF
4) I have pages and pages of installers and Windows files and stuff from my VM and it's driving me NUTS lol

What the heck Apple? Launchpad was what I was looking forward to most (besides getting rid of the scrollbars) and it is miiiighty sloppy.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have played extensively with the gesture menu, but seem to have lost the ability to quickly scroll all the way to the top/bottom of a web page. Used to be 3 fingers up/down. Is it no longer possible or am I overlooking it?

I've been experimenting... even went and re-enable the "new" scrolling, and trying to use my trackpad more on my MacbookPro... and what I've discovered is I can quickly scroll to the top or bottom by how fast I swipe, and how long my fingers are on the pad - a quick stroke from the top or bottom of the trackpad to the other side does it.

Hope this helps...

Editing to add an observation.... I'm left handed, but always "moused" with my right when computing... But "trackpading" seems more natural left handed, and it's also odd at the same time, as I'm so conditioned to use a mouse... it may take some time to get over that. :D

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Boot up seems a tad slower...but nothing to get in a tizzy about. I haven't noticed slower shut down times because honestly, i rarely shut down my computer.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

It used to bug me that my computer would wake up from sleep if I bumped my desk (moving the mouse) or if I had to move my mouse to clean my desk. I think this is a good feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It used to bug me that my computer would wake up from sleep if I bumped my desk (moving the mouse) or if I had to move my mouse to clean my desk. I think this is a good feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see that point... and it's a nit at this stage of the game... I've already "relearned" the proper behavior...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods