What does Apple seem to have against using a NAS device as a Time Machine drive?

It could be kludged on SnowLeopard... but even that appears to be not possible on Lion. They must really want to sell their own device...

I'll stick to the USB connected WD MyBook as my Time Machine storage as well as my iTunes library.
    07-20-2011 03:52 PM
    What does Apple seem to have against using a NAS device as a Time Machine drive?

It could be kludged on SnowLeopard... but even that appears to be not possible on Lion. They must really want to sell their own device...

I'll stick to the USB connected WD MyBook as my Time Machine storage as well as my iTunes library.
    It's not all Apple's fault (though a lot of it may be)... for example, Apple changed the protocols for accessing some networked devices in Lion, supposedly to make it more secure... but in the process, killed all access to my iomega SureStore NAS. I have a 4GB paperweight on my desk now until iomega releases new drivers/firmware for it. And iomega says they've been working with Apple to enable TimeMachine backups on their NAS devices (assuming we can ever access them again). iomega promised the new drivers and firmware would be out before Lion was released... but that didn't happen.

Using USB connected devices for the time being appears to be the only other option to Apple's $500 TimeCapsule.
    07-20-2011 04:23 PM
    Using USB connected devices for the time being appears to be the only other option to Apple's $500 TimeCapsule.
    One day I got a ridiculous deal on the WD Mackbook USB drive - 1TB.... made it my iTunes Library and started using it for Time Machine when I got tired of trying to make my NAS work as Time Machine.
    07-20-2011 04:36 PM
    Interesting. I just recently bought a 1TB WD drive. Couldn't pass it up for $99...and it fit in my purse.
    07-20-2011 10:28 PM
    I found the answer... no new firmware yet, but iomega provided a workaround to reinstall the DHCAST128 function... and the NAS is available again... but not TimeMachine to that NAS.

If anyone is looking for the fix, here's the link:
    iComputerNRD: FreeNAS fix for AFP connection issues with OSX Lion
    07-20-2011 11:10 PM
    I have the Synology and was very surprised to have the same issue...WTF Apple...
    07-22-2011 06:01 PM
    I have the Synology and was very surprised to have the same issue...WTF Apple...
    It's not Apple... they announced the changes and send out developer betas to the companies selling NAS... so far only NetGear has released the updated firmware, according to a post on the iOmega forums... the NAS vendors dropped this ball big time.
    07-22-2011 06:11 PM
    It's not Apple... they announced the changes and send out developer betas to the companies selling NAS... so far only NetGear has released the updated firmware, according to a post on the iOmega forums... the NAS vendors dropped this ball big time.
    Yea seems like they have some updates for the server that I need to try, but wondering why this upgraded affected the NAS...my guess are some security enhancements that everyones been mentioning.
    07-22-2011 07:48 PM
    Yea seems like they have some updates for the server that I need to try, but wondering why this upgraded affected the NAS...my guess are some security enhancements that everyones been mentioning.
    Here's the PCMagazine's writeup on the subject...
    Apple OS X Lion, NAS Issues Widespread, Could Take Weeks to Fix | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

One highlight:
    At issue appears to be Apple's decision to upgrade to DHX2 authentication within its Netatalk 2.2. That has left users trying to back up or access files with Time Machine on the affected NAS devices - which use an older version of Netatalk - unable to do so, and has prompted errors while trying to access files.
    GigaS27 likes this.
    07-22-2011 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD