Lion download started...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've got the Snow Leopard now, but i'd like to upgrade to the Lion. Would it be better for me to go to the Apple Store and buy it there, and have them install it? I mean, would it be quicker, and with a "fresher" copy? What about the installation disk? Would they give me the copy? My Mac came with the Snow Leopard already installed, so no disk if i ever needed to downgrade back. I would really appreciate any help that i could get. Thanks.:confused:
Until they release it on a Thumb Drive (It's coming soon...$69) the only way to get Lion is from the Mac AppStore - and download. An Apple Store might let you come in and use their wifi, or, facilitate installing from a copy they have in-store.

Reactions: anon(631531)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've got the Snow Leopard now, but i'd like to upgrade to the Lion. Would it be better for me to go to the Apple Store and buy it there, and have them install it? I mean, would it be quicker, and with a "fresher" copy? What about the installation disk? Would they give me the copy? My Mac came with the Snow Leopard already installed, so no disk if i ever needed to downgrade back. I would really appreciate any help that i could get. Thanks.:confused:

It would not be a "fresher" copy... and they don't have installation disks for us - only for the stores where they were upgrading multiple machines... rumor was though that they did have local servers serving it up, so it may still be faster. The install itself is 25-30 minutes apart from the download. You could call the store and see what they have to offer, I suppose.

Reactions: anon(631531)

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
It would not be a "fresher" copy... and they don't have installation disks for us - only for the stores where they were upgrading multiple machines... rumor was though that they did have local servers serving it up, so it may still be faster. The install itself is 25-30 minutes apart from the download. You could call the store and see what they have to offer, I suppose.

I'll call them as you suggested. It's 75 miles from my home, but my son lives near there so i suppose i could visit him at the same time. Thanks.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You can buy it through the Mac app store for $30. Have them install it? It installs itself.

You can buy the installation usb drive for $70. I think you can handle this on your own.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
You can buy it through the Mac app store for $30. Have them install it? It installs itself.

You can buy the installation usb drive for $70. I think you can handle this on your own.

You're probably right, but i'll wait until the first two or three million people download it. After that, the whole process should take about 15 minutes at the most.LOL:p

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

The $69 thumb drive version won't be available until September/October... right now it's download or bust...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I really hope no one really buys the damn USB stick. The thing is 3.7GB for 29.99 so at $69 the USB itself costs $40. There is no way Apple is going to use a 16 or 20GB USB and have free space. So anyone that pays $40 for a 4 or 8GB USB stick should be held down and horse whipped. I downloaded and installed yesterday :D then today my friend downloaded his copy but he burned it onto DVD. I went to my GF's to install it and in the Mac AppStore it just had "Install" option. I don't know if it would have started the download all over again but I thought why even bother trying I just copied the file from the DVD instead much faster. The first thing I did was change the scroll direction I don't need to learn anything new. I was thrown for a loop with the multi finger swipe to switch between spaces and to scroll.

As far as I heard, and I could be wrong it will allow you to install on up to 10 computers as long as they are running Snow Leopard. You can also install up to 2 virtual Macs per computer. When you compare this to the $350 Windows 7 disk that is only one license it seems VERY cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osama19

Osama19

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
What really sucks is that i have to pay 30 bucks to upgrade to snow leopard first to access App Store and then upgrade to Lion, it will cost around 60 bucks for me :(

Any suggestions?

Thank you for all the great notes and feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What really sucks is that i have to pay 30 bucks to upgrade to snow leopard first to access App Store and then upgrade to Lion, it will cost around 60 bucks for me :(

Any suggestions?

You could wait for the thumbdrive version to be released... but you're still gonna pay more $69 for that one.

As I understand it, the issue is just that you need the App store to get Lion. I am not aware of any other reason to need Snow Leopard except that the App store doesn't work in Leopard and earlier versions of OS X.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2