Lion download started...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
First thing I did - change the direction of the scroll. LOL!
I finally did that... Why the call their new version of scroll "Natural" is beyond me as using a scroll wheel on a mouse is bas-ackwards on their "Natural"...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I finally did that... Why the call their new version of scroll "Natural" is beyond me as using a scroll wheel on a mouse is bas-ackwards on their "Natural"...

It's all about the perspective. The "conventional" scrolling is like moving the view window over the page/document. So, to read lower on the document, you scroll (move the "window") down. With this paradigm, the page/document is fixed in place and you are moving the view window.

Apple's new scroll is more like moving the page/document around under the view window. In this paradigm, to read lower on the document, you scroll (move the page) up under the view window. Now it's the view window that's fixed in place and you are moving the page/document around under that view window.

I guess it makes sense when you think about it... the strange thing is that is feels so natural on my iPhone, iPad or iPod, but still feels a little strange on my MacBook Pro...

Last edited:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm about hour in. Says another 3 hours but that keeps changing. After it downloads can I wait and install tomorrow? No way I can stay up. Gotta be up crazy early.

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

On twitter everyone was saying to stick to the default scrolling of Lion and you'll get use to it. Suppose to work pretty well.

I'm downloading Lion now on the wife's MacBook Pro and then I'll install it on mine.. If it finishes downloading relatively soon, have to work in the morning.

whiteshadoww

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry it has taken you guys so long. I'm with comcast in SF and it took about 45 mini. Installation took 25 mini (2010 macbook pro). I realize now I should have registered my wife's 2011 iMac under my name and I could have installed Lion on that computer for free.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry it has taken you guys so long. I'm with comcast in SF and it took about 45 mini. Installation took 25 mini (2010 macbook pro). I realize now I should have registered my wife's 2011 iMac under my name and I could have installed Lion on that computer for free.

Has nothing to do with registration...you just have to authorize the computer with your iTunes account and you're good to go.

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Between download and installation it took just under 2 hours on my iMac which I guess, after reading some of the comments, is fairly quick.

I have to agree about the scrolling being weird at first. The iMac I have at work is over 2 years old so it still has the USB mouse with scroll ball and I am constantly trying to just slide my finger on the mouse itself to scroll like I do with my newer iMac at home. So, once I had Lion installed, the whole new direction of scrolling really threw me off for a while. But I do think I'm going to stick it out and get accustomed to it quickly.

I didn't get too much time to check out most of the new features last night so today should be interesting.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Between download and installation it took just under 2 hours on my iMac which I guess, after reading some of the comments, is fairly quick.

I have to agree about the scrolling being weird at first. The iMac I have at work is over 2 years old so it still has the USB mouse with scroll ball and I am constantly trying to just slide my finger on the mouse itself to scroll like I do with my newer iMac at home. So, once I had Lion installed, the whole new direction of scrolling really threw me off for a while. But I do think I'm going to stick it out and get accustomed to it quickly.

I didn't get too much time to check out most of the new features last night so today should be interesting.

I'm already getting used to it. In fact, I went to my work laptop (Lenovo / Windows) and as I started to scroll on the trackpad, I thought to myself how weird that experience was. I guess I've already been assimilated.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Downloading Lion

I've got the Snow Leopard now, but i'd like to upgrade to the Lion. Would it be better for me to go to the Apple Store and buy it there, and have them install it? I mean, would it be quicker, and with a "fresher" copy? What about the installation disk? Would they give me the copy? My Mac came with the Snow Leopard already installed, so no disk if i ever needed to downgrade back. I would really appreciate any help that i could get. Thanks.:confused: