What do you use for photos on your Mac?

What do you use to manage your photos on your Mac?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am finding myself hating the workings of iPhoto more and more every time I open it... what's your choice?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I actually manage my library myself with a combination of OCD and Folders. My pictures that need to be shared are either on Facebook or Flickr. I've tried iPhoto many, many times but my library is so huge it aleays breaks it. Then the times it does work it's too hard to add stuff because of the way iPhoto organizes it. So I've pretty much given up on it.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I also hate iPhoto. Really, REALLY hate it.

I manage my photos manually, and import them just using image capture.

I suppose I could try PhotoShop Elements, but I really don't want an app arranging them for me.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That seems to be the consensus... I have asked several places - here, Twitter, FaceBook... and while the answer to "what" always changes, it NEVER comes up iPhoto... Picasa is free, and I used it for years on my pc in my pre-Mac days... so it's worth a shot. All of my photos have been extracted from iPhoto... and it's going in the trash...

thanks for playing, guys...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I like alot of the features of iPhoto but the way it organizes the photos is just plain stupid and hard to work with. I already have my folder structure so why can't it just use the folders as my albums. I have one particular thing all together like all pictures of my car but within it is broken down to sub directories by events. I import into iPhoto and it all gets seperated Ughhhh terrible interface.

andrewsmith

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely love iPhoto then again I'm not a professional editor or anything. I just import everything to iPhoto, put them where they need to go, upload whatever I want to FB, and I'm done.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input, everyone... trashed iPhoto in favor of Picasa... seriously considering Aperture, but haven't pulled the $70 trigger yet...

Getting photos out of iPhoto was too tough to do the custom editing... the editing options in iPhoto was pretty lame.

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Only been using OSX for a few days now, but I really love the features of iPhoto. It actually took my folder names from my Windows backup and used them as event names. The face detection is nowhere near accurate, I've noticed. Because face tagging was really important to me I spent about 7 hours manually face tagging 4000 photos the other night. Hell, I had nothing else going on so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I changed my camera from RAW to JPEG, so I haven't investigated how iPhoto handles RAW files. I might have to turn the camera setting back on and give it a go just for giggles.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I use Picasa sometimes, but honestly, i just access them through preview if i want to show a picture, and i have albums saved in various picture folders...

I despise iPhoto. It is seriously such a waste of memory on any mac...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
And did you notice after all that face tagging that your hard drive space took a dive? iPhoto makes thumbnails of everything. Once I dumped iPhoto and cleaned up its mess, I can't tell you how much hard drive space I regained!

Only been using OSX for a few days now, but I really love the features of iPhoto. It actually took my folder names from my Windows backup and used them as event names. The face detection is nowhere near accurate, I've noticed. Because face tagging was really important to me I spent about 7 hours manually face tagging 4000 photos the other night. Hell, I had nothing else going on so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I changed my camera from RAW to JPEG, so I haven't investigated how iPhoto handles RAW files. I might have to turn the camera setting back on and give it a go just for giggles.

morgantm89

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Any performance issue? I've read some reviews in the app store that are critical it's sluggishness... just curious...

None here, I only have around 1000 pictures in there though so its not a huge library. Its a little slower adding photos than Lightroom but I prefer the interface in Aperture.

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmm.. Now that you mention it...15GB of photos is occupying 20GB of hard drive space in that folder...I'm guessing there's 5GB of metadata there. Question being then....is Aperture any better at managing this, considering it does Faces as well? If it is, I'll take the plunge....I've got the $100 App Store gift card from the MacBook purchase anyway.

And did you notice after all that face tagging that your hard drive space took a dive? iPhoto makes thumbnails of everything. Once I dumped iPhoto and cleaned up its mess, I can't tell you how much hard drive space I regained!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hmm.. Now that you mention it...15GB of photos is occupying 20GB of hard drive space in that folder...I'm guessing there's 5GB of metadata there. Question being then....is Aperture any better at managing this, considering it does Faces as well? If it is, I'll take the plunge....I've got the $100 App Store gift card from the MacBook purchase anyway.

Not sure... but have you tried Picasa? It's free and does facial recognition...not sure how well, but it does them...

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I was never really a fan of Picasa for Windows, so I don't really see me liking the Mac version either. I almost clicked Buy on Aperture, but I really think I should run the trial before I throw $80 at it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods