Missing Desktop "Device" icon - SD card

TheRealRudedog

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Have a tricky one for you... or for me

When I plug in a USB drive, SD card or micro SD between any of the devices listed below. It only shows up in the finder side bar, where I can access said device as well as unmount the device.

However I can't for the life of me get it to show up on the desktop like it use to (not sure if that was pre El Capitan or an earlier version of El Capitan. Currently seeing all my drives Internal, thunderbolt drive bay and NAS and file servers in the house on the desktop. Just can't see any portable drives on the desktop.

I've switched my finder preferences as well as rebooted in between still no luck, what am I missing? Details below

I see them in Disk Utility they just don't pop up on the desktop anymore. Is this an El Capitan thing?

Thanks for any help offered.

Box
iMac Retina 5K 27" 2014
OS - El Capitan 10.11.6
32 G Ram
Radieon M290X​

All the readers I've used and how they are connected
- Internal SD card reader Back of computer
- Thunderbolt connected -> Lexan multi bay reader (CF/SD/Micro SD, adapters insurted)
- USB 3 -> AUKEY powered 7 Port USB 3 HUB​

Preferences checked, rechecked and rebooted
Finder -> Preferences -> General -> Show these items on desktop ->Hard disk, External disks, Cds, DVDs, and Ipods all checked

Finder -> Sidebar -> Devices -> iMac (HD), Hard disks, External disks, Cds , DVDs, and Ipods all checked​

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2