El Capitan upgrade?

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone, in these forums, upgraded to El Cap and NOT had any problems? With what i've been reading here, i'm seriously debating whether or not to pull the trigger on this upgrade.:concern:

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I've not had any issues - the worst offenders as reported seem to be Apple's own apps and frankly, I hardly use them, so no practical experience of knowing if they are broken - but I can honestly say that I've not been blown away by El Capitan, either.

It might be argued that as a free product it's worth it for whatever security issues it addresses (even as Apple and hardcore Macolytes would deny the need for 'security'), but let's face it - its a patch (sorry....'update') to an older OS. If you're not one who is concerned about security issues and the OS (and all your apps) work as expected, then IIABDFI (If It Ain't Broke...) would seem to apply.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I've not had any issues - the worst offenders as reported seem to be Apple's own apps and frankly, I hardly use them, so no practical experience of knowing if they are broken - but I can honestly say that I've not been blown away by El Capitan, either.

It might be argued that as a free product it's worth it for whatever security issues it addresses (even as Apple and hardcore Macolytes would deny the need for 'security'), but let's face it - its a patch (sorry....'update') to an older OS. If you're not one who is concerned about security issues and the OS (and all your apps) work as expected, then IIABDFI (If It Ain't Broke...) would seem to apply.

Thanks for the reply. My main concern is that i use Chrome as my browser, and i've read in these forums that El Cap doesn't play nice with Chrome. Have you heard anything about that?:concern:

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. My main concern is that i use Chrome as my browser, and i've read in these forums that El Cap doesn't play nice with Chrome. Have you heard anything about that?:concern:

Sorry no, I haven't. I've used Chrome in the past on earlier OSX, but not on El Cap. I tend to use clunky, slow Firefox as my go-to browser (if only for certain Add-Ons which neither Chrome nor Safari have equivalents) - but I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some feedback. I can't imagine that Google - who seem to want their finger in every element of our online world - would let Chrome remain problematic, if there was an initial issue with the OS.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's because of El Capitan, but I've had nothing but irritating problems with my iMac recently. The thing will take upwards of ten minutes to startup, stalling out mid load for reasons I cannot fathom. Programs, Apple or not, will just sit there and bounce in the dock. I'll get that spinning wheel constantly in those instances or just at random times. The other day my Japanese keyboard deleted itself out of nowhere. The Bluetooth connection to my iPhone will not disconnect.

Those are just a few problems I've been having. I'm really at a loss here because I joined the  crowd due it's ability to keep things rolling smoothly, which they did for the longest time. In the last couple of years though, things really have been going bad I think.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone, in these forums, upgraded to El Cap and NOT had any problems? With what i've been reading here, i'm seriously debating whether or not to pull the trigger on this upgrade.:concern:

I haven't had any issues on my
MacBook Pro Retina (late 2013 model) except for the occasional hiccup that usually just requires me to force quit an application (not sure if it's OS X or just the app itself in those instances). The good news is I used to have some wifi connectivity issues in Yosemite which have gone away in El Cap.

I'm not sure if it's because of El Capitan, but I've had nothing but irritating problems with my iMac recently. The thing will take upwards of ten minutes to startup, stalling out mid load for reasons I cannot fathom. Programs, Apple or not, will just sit there and bounce in the dock. I'll get that spinning wheel constantly in those instances or just at random times. The other day my Japanese keyboard deleted itself out of nowhere. The Bluetooth connection to my iPhone will not disconnect.

Those are just a few problems I've been having. I'm really at a loss here because I joined the  crowd due it's ability to keep things rolling smoothly, which they did for the longest time. In the last couple of years though, things really have been going bad I think.

How old is your iMac? 10 minutes to boot up is quite excessive. Sounds like a mainboard issue considering the issues you've mentioned.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
It's a late 2013 model. It's random really. Sometimes it'll boot quick, and other times I'll be that long. It stalls is what the problem is. I have no idea what is making it do so. I should mention this is the load when signing into a screen name. The initial load with the apple symbol also takes a while.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I've got a mid-2010 MacBook Pro. I partitioned the hard drive, with 350gb for Yosemite, and 150gb for Windows 10(free upgrade when i bought Windows 7). I also have a 1tb external hard drive, so i'm good with "time machine". Through the years, i've used various web browsers, and finally settled on Google Chrome for both sides of the Mac. I know that i should be able to go back to Yosemite w/ time machine if i can't get El Cap to work, but i'm concerned that El Cap may leave some permanent garbage on my hard drive. I want to thank everyone who has responded to my problem, and hopefully someone with my exact set-up will give me the answer that i'm looking for.:yes::p

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2