It will not be allowed to run at all. You either use an Apple SSD or you get no TRIM.
    Bigeric23 likes this.
    06-08-2015 10:42 PM
    Nice to know.
    06-09-2015 07:59 AM
    It will not be allowed to run at all. You either use an Apple SSD or you get no TRIM.
    Are you saying i can't use a third party trim enabler either? I really hope that's not the case as i just upgraded my mac to an SSD.
    06-11-2015 04:07 PM
    06-12-2015 02:20 PM
    I'm kind of ignorant to this...I run an SSD in my MBP, but as far as I know, have no TRIM enabler running. Should I? Is there a benefit that I'm missing out on? After a couple of years now, my SSD still seems to be running perfectly fine...could it have a function that negates the need for this TRIM function?
    06-12-2015 03:14 PM
    I'm kind of ignorant to this...I run an SSD in my MBP, but as far as I know, have no TRIM enabler running. Should I? Is there a benefit that I'm missing out on? After a couple of years now, my SSD still seems to be running perfectly fine...could it have a function that negates the need for this TRIM function?
    I Just recently upgraded to an SSD and only found out about Trim after installing. After doing a lot of research i have come to the conclusion that it is a must for all SSD's that didn't ship directly from Apple. There is a great Mac App that really makes the whole process effortless. The app is called Cindori Disk Sensei. Disk Sensei is a great app that let's you view information about your drive(s). You can also download just the trim enabler.

Even though you say you don't experience and slowing down i would do it anyways. Check it out here: https://www.cindori.org/software/disksensei/

Disk Sensei Costs $20 and trim enabler $10

Hope that helps a little.. DO IT!
    06-12-2015 03:28 PM
    I'd really just like to know what it does.
    06-12-2015 11:37 PM
    I'd really just like to know what it does.
    Since I am horrible at explaining things I will give you the link to one of many sites explaining what trim is and why you should be using it.

https://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/
    06-13-2015 12:16 AM
    Since I am horrible at explaining things I will give you the link to one of many sites explaining what trim is and why you should be using it.

https://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/
    Thanks for the link! That actually makes perfect sense now...I'm going to read up on it a bit more and see if it's something I really need to be concerned with.
    06-14-2015 10:18 PM
    Trim is very important. My Samsung 840 does 480/240 mBps (sequential read/write) with TRIM but only ~120/80 without it. Multiple benchmarks over three years, same results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-22-2015 06:46 PM
    Trim is very important. My Samsung 840 does 480/240 mBps (sequential read/write) with TRIM but only ~120/80 without it. Multiple benchmarks over three years, same results.
    That's so hard to believe ... do you even know what Trim does? ...
    06-24-2015 09:43 AM
    Thanks for the link! That actually makes perfect sense now...I'm going to read up on it a bit more and see if it's something I really need to be concerned with.
    Sean here's some more reading material for perspective ...
    To TRIM or not to TRIM (OWC has the answer) | Other World Computing Blog
    06-24-2015 09:47 AM
    That's so hard to believe ... do you even know what Trim does? ...
    Yes I do. It marks sectors (or their equivalents) as empty so the drive doesn't have to verify each one as empty before writing. I have repeated the benchmark with or without TRIM many times and the results were nearly identical. I got nearly 1/3 performance without TRIM. It's, of course, necessary to let the drive run with TRIM for some time to let the trimming routines finish their job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    08-06-2015 06:01 PM
    Wrong. Since Yosemite 10.10.5 you can enable TRIM on non-apple SSD's with the sudo trimforce enable command in Terminal. El Cap on most configs switches this on automatically.
    09-22-2015 09:51 AM
    Wrong. Since Yosemite 10.10.5 you can enable TRIM on non-apple SSD's with the sudo trimforce enable command in Terminal. El Cap on most configs switches this on automatically.
    how can you tell if it's on or not?
    10-02-2015 07:18 PM
    how can you tell if it's on or not?
    Found it

About this Mac -> System Report

Mine was under SATA section. Said "NO" so I enabled it using terminal.
    10-03-2015 07:30 AM