Where/when did you buy your first gen iPad?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Since the original iPad wasn't released in Canada until a month after the US, I drove from Montreal to the Albany, NY Apple Store to buy one on launch day.

It's a really straight forward drive, through some beautiful mountains, but it's a long way to go :)

The Apple Store had given me a business appointment, so I didn't have to wait in line (I didn't ask questions, I just said thanks!) I got there early enough that I waited anyway.

I love Apple launch events, they're the tailgate party of gadgets, and Apple always puts on a great show. I got my iPad quickly and did an unboxing video then and there, and did a quick interview with the local news.

Funniest part was US customs on the way down:

"Why are you going to the US? To buy an iPad?" (Look of disgust on the old dude's face) "Go ON!"

Canadian customs on the way back:

"Lucky you declared that iPad, we've been stopping people all day. Best Buy or the Apple Store? Did you go with 64 gigs? Why didn't wait for the 3G version..." (Young guy and girl chatted with me for 20 minutes or so while I paid the hefty taxes).

What was your experience like, when you got the original iPad?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I got my first iPad at Target which was 9 months after it launched. I ended up returning it to Target after 89 days with it, just in time to get the iPad 2 when it came out. :D

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I got mine as a open item display at bestbuy saved 80 bucks lol
Still going strong I did have to wipe it when I got it but it was cool playing all the bestbuy loaded paid apps lol

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I got mine in a trade from the CrackBerry.com Market Place forum. I traded an Acer Iconia 500 for it. This was well after the iPad 2 was released. Generally I was getting my iOS fix from ipod touches. I had several of those also obtained in trades. My latest touch had been traded away so I needed something and then the iPad deal came up. :) Gonna sell the iPad now though and use the money to help pay for my new ultrabook (Dell XPS 13). :)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I am old and I drink.

Until the tornadoes in Dallas yesterday, I was expecting my fourth (don't ask) iPad tomorrow. My first iPad was just too long ago to remember. My birthday is next week. In addition to my new iPad, I am also getting a handicap parking permit (don't ask).

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Until the tornadoes in Dallas yesterday, I was expecting my fourth (don't ask) iPad tomorrow. My first iPad was just too long ago to remember. My birthday is next week. In addition to my new iPad, I am also getting a handicap parking permit (don't ask).

Just checked. FedEx says it only slipped a day, to Friday. Unfortunately, my mail drop is closed for Good Friday.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I got my first iPad August 2010 at Best Buy... I'd been looking at them since they came out, but had a hard time figuring out why I'd want/need one... but after looking at them for several months, I bought one... and love it... it was the second step in my conversion to Apple (following my iPhone 4 in June, 2010)...

... and I sold it earlier this week to purchase the 3rd Gen iPad...

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Apple Store Fashion Show Mall on the Las Vegas strip. Bought it late April 2010. It was a wifi only model and I bought it the weekend the 3G model launched. They said they had a couple of 64's left and said I'll take one.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Just checked. FedEx says it only slipped a day, to Friday. Unfortunately, my mail drop is closed for Good Friday.

Major bummage. :( Hopefully it will get back on track and get to you tomorrow, that DOES happen sometimes. :)

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine about a month after they came out. I didn't want to get involved in all the launch day drama and so I waited till inventory evened out to purchase.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2