Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this issue. My ipad 1, never jailbroken, cannot update to IOS5. I get the dreaded 3194 error. I am on Windows 7 64 bit and I have tried the following:

Uninstalled and reinstalled Itunes
    confirmed no viruses or spyware on machine
    disabled windows firewall
    uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials
    closed all apps on ipad and rebooted
    Put ipad into DFU mode to restore
    Tried to just restore and not upgrade

The Ipad syncs fine, it backs up fine but after extracting the software the 3194 error shows up. I am out of ideas and wondering if this is an issue connecting to Apple servers due to demand or an underlying issue with the Ipad itself.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has a good idea to try!

Chris
    10-18-2011 08:19 AM
    Wow, 117 reviews and no answers. I hope that means that I had hit all the obvious solutions and there wasn't obvious direction. Luckily I saw this in the IOS 5 Forum and it worked!

Cross posting here in case this thread comes up for someone in a future search. The OP was syncing an iphone but it worked fine with the ipad.

http://forums.tipb.com/ios-5-forum/2...p-windows.html

Thanks to lpilot4s for this tip!

"One other issue I had when restoring the IPhone was the 3194 error.
    I navigated to the following folder - C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\
    Right clicked on hosts (I had to open with in Word Pad to do the edits and I also had to adjust the security properties on the folder to allow for the change. Also I made a copy of the Host File before editing)
    Deleted any IP lines pointing to gs.apple.com
    CTRL + S to save
    Saved as "All files" (not a txt or anything)
    Reloaded ITunes and restored my IPhone"
    10-18-2011 06:22 PM
    If u have tiny umbrella installed it redirects the host files and that is what causes the error .. It happen to me I just open tu under advance and unchecked the settings and then closed and updated in iTunes and it fixe my issue .. With me it had nothing to do with my iPhone or iPad ever being JB
    10-18-2011 07:11 PM
    If u have tiny umbrella installed it redirects the host files and that is what causes the error .. It happen to me I just open tu under advance and unchecked the settings and then closed and updated in iTunes and it fixe my issue .. With me it had nothing to do with my iPhone or iPad ever being JB
    That would make sense since both of the phones are jail broken and I use TU. I am guessing it is left over from the update to 4.3 on the phones. Phones won't go again until IOS 5 is tether free!
    10-18-2011 08:30 PM
    That would make sense since both of the phones are jail broken and I use TU. I am guessing it is left over from the update to 4.3 on the phones. Phones won't go again until IOS 5 is tether free!
    Hope u got it working
    10-19-2011 04:09 AM
    Hope u got it working
    I did, thanks!
    10-19-2011 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD