App Store not notifying me of updates

Ravynmagi#IM

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Short version. Some months ago after updating from 4.2.2 to 4.3.something I noticed I was no longer getting notices about updates in the App Store (little number on the App Store icon), unless I opened the App Store and looked.

I did a complete wipe and reload of the OS and still have the problem with 4.3.5 installed.

Long version. I was using 4.2.2 jailbroken for a long time. It was working, but decided to update to current (at the time) 4.3.2 (I think). I didn't wipe and reload the OS, just installed the update from iTunes and the jailbroke it again. Seemed to be working fine except I notice the problem with not receiving notices about App Store updates on the icon.

I assumed I probably messed up by not wiping the iPad before doing the update. So I wiped, and reinstalled a fresh copy of the OS. Loaded the lates 4.3.5 now. Didn't even jailbreak this, time. So it should be pretty much stock. But I'm still having problems with not getting updates.

I have been using iTunes to backup and restore the iPad, so I might have transferred whatever the problem was when I restored the backup, maybe. So maybe I'll try wiping it again and not restore from a backup, just to see if I still have the problem.

But curious if anyone might have seen this issue and have any ideas on how to fix it?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
You have to open the AppStore app on your iOS device to see that there are updated apps and that's a problem? It's the way it's always worked for me...

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You have to open the AppStore app on your iOS device to see that there are updated apps and that's a problem? It's the way it's always worked for me...

Previously, Apple used to have a red notification symbol over the App store icon letting you know that there were updates available without having to open the app store. However, that changed with one of the iOS updates and now you have to actually open the app store in order to see that updates are available for your apps. I believe this is what the OP is referring to.... I prefer the way it is now, as I'm in the app store enough not to miss any app updates anyway.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Previously, Apple used to have a red notification symbol over the App store icon letting you know that there were updates available without having to open the app store. However, that changed with one of the iOS updates and now you have to actually open the app store in order to see that updates are available for your apps. I believe this is what the OP is referring to.... I prefer the way it is now, as I'm in the app store enough not to miss any app updates anyway.

Interesting... I never knew that... as far as I remember, you always had to open the App Store to see pending updates... wonder what else I missed? :)

Ravynmagi#IM

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

I still have the red notification symbol on my App Store icon. Just now it doesn't update until AFTER I open the app. Before it would show how many app updates I have BEFORE even opening the app.

So you are saying this was intentionally changed at some point? Seems like a step backwards.

It's not a big deal. If it's how it is for everyone, I won't worry about it. Just thought something might not have been working right.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Interesting... I never knew that... as far as I remember, you always had to open the App Store to see pending updates... wonder what else I missed? :)
I got my first iPhone over a year and a half ago, and that feature was there back then. Even though the notification was there you still had to click on the app store to see what updates were available and download them. The following image shows the notification symbol over the App store icon.

485e94d9-b5ce-4bf0.jpg

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I still have the red notification symbol on my App Store icon. Just now it doesn't update until AFTER I open the app. Before it would show how many app updates I have BEFORE even opening the app.

So you are saying this was intentionally changed at some point? Seems like a step backwards.

It's not a big deal. If it's how it is for everyone, I won't worry about it. Just thought something might not have been working right.

I no longer have this symbol. I have to go into the app store now to see if there are updtaes available. I think Apple removed that because a lot of people were complaining that they didn't like having the red symbol on the app store icon, but I'm sure if this was the exact reason or not. Even though the notification was there I still had to open the app store in order to download the updates anyway so I'm not disappointed that Apple decided to remove it.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Baileybug

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
My ipad2 still shows the red circle for updates as does my Iphone3GS. I have to open the application to see what applications have updates and I can update all or update each one individually.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My ipad2 still shows the red circle for updates as does my Iphone3GS. I have to open the application to see what applications have updates and I can update all or update each one individually.
What software version are you running? I have an iPhone 4 and iPad 2, neither one shows the red symbol when an update is available unless I open up the app store.... I'm beginning to wonder if there is a setting in iTunes that I might have turned off and that is why I don't get the external notification that some of you guys are.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if there is a little confusion here? Just to be clear, it is possible to have the badge without having push notifications. Here's what just happened when I went to test the behavior on my iP4 running 4.3.3:

-App Store icon had no badges
-Launched App Store, it searched for updates and found one for The Weather Channel
-Closed App Store without downloading the update
-App Store icon now has badge showing 1 update

I believe, though, that it would eventually show even if I didn't manually open the App Store app. Not sure how often it checks, however; it doesn't seem to be "push notifications" in the way we usually think of it. I think it's more like once a week or so. I'll try to keep an eye on things and report back.

For the record, this Apple page seems to suggest it does push update badges to some degree.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77