Should I buy the Ipad 1?

lucasite

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey, Im based in the UK, and we're supposedly due to have the new ipad 2 released this week.
But the amount of stock clearly seems to be abit of an issue, and with recent rumours of component supplies from Japan being affected by events, Im sure the demand and queues next Friday will be beyond ridiculous.

But I really want an ipad!

So would I be foolish to get an ipad (wifi only) 1st gen now, and look at upgrading in 6 months or so?
Or would I be foolish to buy an older model, the week that a new model is about to be released.

Any thoughts?

Luca

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
im not buying the ipad 2, but that sbecause i already have the ipad 1. the ipad 1 does everything i want it to do and the ipad 2 isnt all that better to me, (its certainly better, just not for what i need) so im sticking with my first gen.

although, for you, whos just looking to get one, i would try to get ahold of the ipad 2, you might as well have the new one ya know?

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If you don't have an iPad, I strongly recommend the iPad 2. Since you don't have a iPad, I wouldn't bother with last year's model. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but like @jasonG said, why not get the new model? Trust me, it is worth the wait. Call local Apple Stores, be polite, and they will tell you when they will get more in :)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
If you don't have an iPad, I strongly recommend the iPad 2. Since you don't have a iPad, I wouldn't bother with last year's model. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but like @jasonG said, why not get the new model? Trust me, it is worth the wait. Call local Apple Stores, be polite, and they will tell you when they will get more in :)

One reason is to save some money. AT&T, for example, is selling the 3G 64gb ipad for 529. That's 300 dollars off. Apple® iPad® with Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB Cell Phone - Wireless from AT&T This is new with one year warranty.

To be honest, i've not had a use for facetime on an ipad since i have an iphone. The cameras wouldn't be an issue.

For a new buyer, the size difference wouldn't be that big of deal if he's never used an ipad 2.

And for speed, this is only really noticeable in switching apps, starting apps, and heavy games. But again, its something the new ipad owner wouldn't really see.

Last edited:

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the UK as well and have just got the iPad 1. I don't think I will use the FaceTime features and the ipad1 is speedy enough for me. I will look at the iPad 2 when it is released as if it is all that it is cracked up to be ill buy that and give the iPad 1 to my partner (especially as she is on it more then me)

JF7FSU

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Call me crazy, but I can't see buying the old one if you don't already have one. I totally get holding on to the 1 if you already have it,.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
One reason is to save some money. AT&T, for example, is selling the 3G 64gb ipad for 529. That's 300 dollars off. Apple® iPad® with Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB Cell Phone - Wireless from AT&T This is new with one year warranty.

To be honest, i've not had a use for facetime on an ipad since i have an iphone. The cameras wouldn't be an issue.

For a new buyer, the size difference wouldn't be that big of deal if he's never used an ipad 2.

And for speed, this is only really noticeable in switching apps, starting apps, and heavy games. But again, its something the new ipad owner wouldn't really see.

really? I notice a night and day difference in every app I use. It's not like blazing but it is significant (to me anyway). I love the new processor. I can't wait to get it in a iPhone.

lucasite

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Its just really the case that demand is so high, and if you dont give up an entire day to queuing on release day, then you're gonna be waiting over a month, if not more before supplies catch up.

dgo

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Its just really the case that demand is so high, and if you dont give up an entire day to queuing on release day, then you're gonna be waiting over a month, if not more before supplies catch up.

Just order it online mate

I'm in the UK too and im keeping my eye on apple site so i can order it strait away.

I'm too busy to be queuing up in London for an ipad, will leave that to the crazy people with too much time on there hands, I'm sure if we are quick enough we will get the first batch.

Also, i had the 1st Gen ipad and sold it as soon as i saw the spec for the ipad 2, dont waste your money on the 1st Gen. The ipad 2 is what the Ipad 1 was suppose to be!

mrsFAB

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm. Well if you don't already have one, then the get the latest model. Now if you had one I can see waiting on another model on down the road.

Illmusiq

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Depends on use...I'm just a Internet user, light gamer and magazine/book reader...the price point and uses of the 1st gen iPad just made sense to me

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
If you can save some money (re: AT&T deal) and don't really think you'll use Facetime, the iPad 1 is definitely nice. Plus you'll get discounts on the cases etc. If you can't save any money, don't bother. Wait for the Gen 2.

wkr08

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just got my first iPad yesterday. I got a refurb 1st gen model. I saved money and for what I will use it for, I don't need the new one. So far it works just fine for my needs. In time when a new iPad model has some 'revolutionary' changes to it...and I need those new features, then I will upgrade. For now, my iPhone 4 does everything else the ipad don't do.
This just goes for me and my world.

lucasite

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeh, now the pricing has been announced (?399 for W16Gb) compared with the ipad1, almost ?50 cheaper, Im definitely undecided now.
Money isnt a huge problem, but it does seem alot for 2 naff cameras, and a few seconds faster app loading. (i gest!)

Trevor_Johnson

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a (basically new) original iPad from a friend,who only had it for a week before he sold it to me. I just didn't feel that I would use the any of the new features in the new iPad, of course I'd like the dual processor and more ram, but I would rarely use the cameras. The original iPad does everything that I need it to do. I'm waiting on the next iPad, that hopefully has the retina display, that's the main thing I care about.

lydia331

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, wait is worth it. The screen resolution didn't improve and we didn't get that ultra-speedy Thunderbolt connector on board, but the iPad 2 is thinner and lighter while somehow becoming more powerful -- a 1GHz dual-core Apple A5 SOC lurks within.

Minox

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I bought the iPad 1 64gb WiFi May 2011 because I found it on sale and I felt that it had a more robust construction. As an added benefit, I found that accessories like cases and protective screens were being clearances at very attractive prices. The iPad 1 is a classic and does everything that I expect of it. I couldn't be more pleased with my decision.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2