I got the WiFi only because anytime I want to be online, I'm at a place with WiFi. I can't see how anybody can suggest to you, though, because it would depend on how much you wish to be connected and where you are when you wish that.
    03-03-2011 11:47 AM
    This is why many are moving on. I can see Apple pulling this later this year, maybe even by Summer time. An announcement of changes that the first gen wont get.
    I think this an error. The iPad moved well beyond the Apple fan boys and into the mainstream. You can pull stuff on the fans like Apple did with initial and then secondary pricing of the iPhone because fans consider first ownership to be worth something.

Once you move beyond fans, though, you can't just beat the crap out of people by purposefully withholding access to upgrades (at least this soon) w/o annoying the squat out of people.

If Apple did pull this, it'd incline me away from the iPad 3 and onto Android just to be shut of Apple. It wouldn't, by any means, cause me to get into a Pad 2.
    03-03-2011 11:49 AM
    I bought my 1st iPad 3G not because I might need it all that much but for resale value. Apple products typically hold their value so when the next gen comes out one of the usual practices is to sell your current device to be halfway closer to getting the new one. The iPad is also not tied to a contract, atleast here in Canada, so you can only get data the months you want it. If you decide it's getting too expensive you just cut it off 5 days before the next months cycle begins. Also you might find that you start to like having a 3G model if you start to take it out with you because you'll be connected via 3G. Ofcourse if you have an iPhone with a data plan then Personal Hotspot in 4.3 means you wont need a 3G iPad and you can use the extra $130 towards a bigger storage size model.
    03-03-2011 11:51 AM
    It really depends on how you'll use it. For me the iPad isn't great without connectivity. However, I don't pay for data every month. i just bought the $15 plan last Saturday but I hadn't purchased any data in two months prior to that. I like the knowing I won't ever be without data. I know that's awfully expensive to have that security, but I don't want to run down my iPhone battery with tethering.
    03-03-2011 12:00 PM
    I will be. Although I LOVE Apple, I HATE going in to the stores. I was hoping for a pre-order and have it delivered to me ON the 11th. Looks like I will be ordering on the 11th at 12:01 AM and having it shipped. MAYBE, just MAYBE I will show up at the store.
    I was disappointed that we couldn't pre-order as well. I don't feel like going to the store though cause my nearest store is 2 hours away. So I will also be impatiently waiting online at 12:01 am on March 11.
    03-03-2011 12:04 PM
    It really depends on how you'll use it. For me the iPad isn't great without connectivity. However, I don't pay for data every month. i just bought the $15 plan last Saturday but I hadn't purchased any data in two months prior to that. I like the knowing I won't ever be without data. I know that's awfully expensive to have that security, but I don't want to run down my iPhone battery with tethering.
    Depends on your usage. For the few times i'm away from wifi with an ipad, i can do with tethering on iphone.

Plus iphone 5 will probably be HSPA+ for AT&T. Ipad 2 isn't.
    03-03-2011 12:14 PM
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I still have a few days to decide.

I think I'll be fine with just the Wi-Fi but I also like the idea of having 3G there if I need it. Ahh decisions.
    03-03-2011 12:19 PM
    I think that itbis a compeling buy but not a compeling upgrade.

I cannot imagine anyone waiting to pay $800- for the competition.
    03-03-2011 12:53 PM
    HDMI was also a big factor for me. Although 40 bucks for the cable is a bit much I think...
    I am always amazed at Apple's ability to set a price and make it hold on the street. If their accessory prices were as outrageous as they look to me, one would expect lower prices from the competitors. Instead the competitors seem content to camp out under the Apple price umbrella.
    03-03-2011 12:58 PM
    I'll be more than a bit annoyed if iOS 5 has killer features my 1G iPad won't be able to use. I'm sitting this one out too. Nothing announced is even on my desire list, really. Hook my iPad to a TV? Why?
    why not? You use air play for that. Te HDMI thing is mostly aimed at teachers, but anyone could really use it, even though you will get the back bars on a wide screen TV.

They want to see lines at stores. They didn't get that with the verizon iphone launch. They don't want a repeat of that.
    If they didn't want that, they would have had their own launch. Besides the iPhone on Verizon is just an iPhone 4. Nothing more. Nothing less. If you already have an iPhone and are happy with ATT theres no reason to upgrade.

That thought had crossed my mind. Jobs- and Apple in general- have enough of an ego that it would be a realistic explanation of the lack of pre-order. It is going to lead to huge lines at Apple stores, and you know every local news station will have cameras taping the lines for the 6 o'clock news- giving Apple a crap ton of free pub.

You know, that probably explains the odd time of release as well.
    I dobut it will lead to that. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple paid news stations to give it all the hype.

Besides local news stations have more important stuff to cover then a silly ipad launch

I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to get just the Wi-Fi model or the 3G+Wi-Fi. What do you guys prefer? I need some opinions if you don't mind. I just don't know if paying the extra $ a month is worth it.
    its really up to you. People say wifi is everywhere and that m,ay be true, but are those wifi hotspots free and open?

It's good that you don't have to have a contract, but I think they should have had a dual chip.
    03-03-2011 01:04 PM
    I'm definitely getting one this time since I waited on the first one. I'm leaning towards the black 32GB wifi+3G since broadband isn't available where I live.
    03-03-2011 01:19 PM
    I won't get it the day it comes out (college student) but I will be getting it soon. I can't wait.
    03-03-2011 04:04 PM
    Nope, I'm sticking with my iPad 32g first generation, I've only had it 6 months, going for the new MacBook Pro tho, but that's another subject..
    03-03-2011 04:21 PM
    I got caught up in the new sparkle yesterday, but found a new 64gb wifi-3G on eBay for a steal last night so I caved. This way I can hopefully break (close to) even when the next model arrives. I'm just happy as heck to finally be getting one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-03-2011 05:00 PM
    I'm new in here, Hope to enjoy this forum.
    03-03-2011 07:16 PM
    its really up to you. People say wifi is everywhere and that may be true, but are those wifi hotspots free and open?
    Of course, WiFi is still not "everywhere." Nonetheless I am surprised how ubiquitous it is.

It is still not "free" but the price is falling. I live in the Tri-State area where the cable companies, in order to compete with the phone company broadband wireless, have gotten together to make WiFi available to their subscribers in most populated places. One only has to logon once; after that. connection is automatic. It is not "free" but its price is not discretionary; one gets it as a feature of the Internet service that one is already buying from the cable company.

When I travel I find GoGo Inflight and Boingo. Both of these now have apps to make them easy to find and pay for. Boingo is now down to $1 per hour.

(I still find T-Mobile WiFi almost impossible to use. Before I have succeeded in logging in, it is time to board my flight.)

On my trip to SF for RSA, I still took my Verizon MiFi but rarely had to use it.

So, not everywhere, not free, but, within reasonable limits, approaching both.

As you say, it is still up to the individual. The decision is still not universal but it is tipping more and more to WiFi only.
    Last edited by whmurray; 03-05-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    03-03-2011 11:17 PM
    I think I'll be jumping on the iPad 2. I skipped the first gen. I can't wait to play with AmpKit and GarageBand on it!
    03-04-2011 09:56 AM
    I'm the only one here who isn't. I guess I'm broke!
    03-04-2011 10:16 AM
    I'm the only one here who isn't. I guess I'm broke!
    You aren't alone. I have to save my pennies before I can get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-04-2011 10:26 AM
    I'm in for a black 32gb wifi model. Just sold my 16gb wifi only iPad minutes ago, lets see how the week goes sans ipad!
    03-04-2011 12:53 PM
    Apple is indeed good when it comes to dropping the bomb but I'm not taking it at this stage. I'd wait for the 3rd generation. With them fast enough to create products, it would be there anytime soon!

I've been hearing and reading a lot of not so good reviews about Xoom too. What do you think?
    03-04-2011 12:56 PM
    I'm in for a black 32gb wifi model. Just sold my 16gb wifi only iPad minutes ago, lets see how the week goes sans ipad!
    You are kidding, right? A week? Eight days?

You the man!
    03-04-2011 03:14 PM
    I really want one, but have only had my original iPad for 2 months and can't really afford the new one!
    03-04-2011 03:19 PM
    I really want one, but have only had my original iPad for 2 months and can't really afford the new one!
    Are you paying taxes, interest, food, clothing, shelter, and medicine? Perhaps you should review your priorities.
    Last edited by whmurray; 03-04-2011 at 03:38 PM.
    03-04-2011 03:34 PM
    I really want to! I'm going to college in the fall, and I'm highly considering asking the family for an iPad for class. I'm thinking it would be really helpful.
    03-04-2011 04:26 PM
138 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD