Lovin' my iPad...still!

mtnmedic

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Despite its commonly perceived shortcomings, I'm still very, very happy with my iPad. For some odd reason, I'm not (yet?) as excited about the upcoming iPad 2. Maybe it's because I'm just taking a "let's wait and see" attitude toward it. So you can bet I'll be watching tomorrow's Apple event with great curiosity.

In testimony to my happiness with the iPad, I'll say that it came in VERY handy during the last two winter storms that caused extended power outages.

I live in the high foothills (around 4000' elevation) of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in northern California. In late November and again just this past week, we got walloped with snowstorms that left upwards of 3 to 4 feet of snow with temps down into the teens. With that came power outages that lasted 4-5 days at a time.

No biggie. Fire up the wood stove. Bring in the 115 amp-hour deep cycle marine battery portable power pack with charging ports. Boil some hot water on the wood stove for the cocoa (and cook meals). Turn on the battery- powered lanterns. Then fire up the iPad on 3G (I live in a fringe area where AT&T and Sprint towers are located about 6 miles across the canyon).

Then...watch episodes of Futurama and a couple of movies on Netflix, surf the web, do email, listen to and watch my basketball team's games, watch some internet TV, check weather and power outage status, download and read National Geographic and other magazines using Zinio, play Angry Birds and do crossword puzzles, listen to the local radio station broadcasting via the web, read an ebook, do a little art, write in my journal plus work on my poetry and even make some phone calls. All on 3G (I have one of the grandfathered unlimited accounts...SO totally worth it!). Sure, there were times when the signal would drop to Edge, but while that was too slow for surfing, etc. it was fine for emails and streaming radio. Just so many different things to do when you're sitting in the lantern-lit dark by the fire when you're not shoveling snow.

The big thing is that I was able to keep in touch with my family and friends with the iPad at a time when the power takes out my phone service and my cell phone is barely getting any signal at all (have to stand out on the deck in one spot for that). That impresses me the most. Especially since I live alone, have no close neighbors and-with the amount of snow-being stuck at home for days on end before a plow comes around (in fact, nobody on my road could get in or out).

So, besides being an entertainment device, my iPad has allowed me to be productive, occupied and in touch when I'm socked in. Trust me, the lack of a camera, Flash, retina display, etc. hasn't even entered my mind. I'm just thankful for such a device that performs so well for so many things. And for the battery life...it's tremendous. There is just no way I would've been able to do all of this stuff with my laptop, particularly with regard to portability, ease of holding and battery power (I can NOT stand toting around an AC adapter and charger plus trying to find an AC socket to which I'll be chained to every 2-3 hours! BOO!).

So here's to my iPad, which I've had almost a full year. Will I replace it with an iPad 2? Possibly not. Why? The primary reason is battery power. While the new iPad is most likely to be lighter and thinner with more features (possibly a more powerful processor and more memory, along with camera or two, etc.), the chance of it having the same battery power-let alone have more- seems to be getting a bit less likely. That's a deal-breaker for me. The three most important things to me in a portable computing device are: 1) form factor (thus portability), 2) sheer functionality with consistent performance and 3) long battery life. I'm sure the iPad2 will address the first two points but the third may be somewhat of an issue. Hopefully, I'm wrong. That'd be an amazing feat to overcome. We'll see.

But, for now, I'm happy as a clam with my iPad.:D

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I feel ya there! I actually JUST got my iPad about a week ago, and I'm loving it. Sure, the iPad 2 is coming out and I could have just saved my money, but I got a really good deal on this one in mint condition that I just couldn't pass up. And I'm sure the iPad 2 will offer some great features, better form factor and cameras. I think the REAL upgrade for it will be the cameras, although I know there'll prob be some major upgrades under the hood. But for me, the iPad is pretty fast - I don't think I'll lose any sleep if I can't load my twitter feed 3 seconds faster. As far as the cameras go - I personally don't need a camera on every device I have. I already have the camera on my MacBook, and of course my iPhone 4 ... I don't use FaceTime or Skype (skype maybe once every few months, not enough to justify upgrading solely for a camera) ... But I am personally very satisfied with the performance of my iPad, and what all I can do with it. I honestly think the only thing I would want improved is to have retina display. Everything else is perfectly fine with me :) .. I don't see myself upgrading any time soon.

FutureTVStar

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm stll lovin' my 1G iPad too, I just got mine on Christmas and it has served me well. I don't video chat so I really don't care much for the new 2 cameras. The new model may be faster but the one I have works just fine for me (mainly used for Web browsing, to keep track of tasks, e-reading & the occasional game).

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
iPad 2 is a nice upgrade, however if you are happy with your current gen I don't know that you will be truly missing out on much. I too could live without the speed bump, cameras, gyro and hdmi support. But man that white one looks so nice!!!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I loved the iPad 2 event now I'm just waiting to pre-order mine. The white one was cool it was definately unexpected even though it was leaked but black for me. The thing I find interesting is everyone thinks now that the new one is coming people seem to think the first one is gonna start to sell for pennies. Ughhh now I have to wait for a month when people understand the 1st gen wont be selling for $200. I'm in Canada just for reference if the pricing looks a little weird.

mackattack00

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't see myself upgrading. I don't care about the 2 cameras. I have my iPhone 4 and have facetimed only once since june. And whos going to shoot a video with an iPad?

MooPenguin32

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't care about the cameras, but I love everything else. The added horsepower will definitely be nice. I've noticed the iPad to be a bit sluggish at times.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I got a sweet deal on an iPad over the weekend. 32GB wifi with black apple case and all original materials for $300. Got it for my wife and I'm picking up the new one on Friday.

aimon

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I just got my iPad yesterday. I never could really justify buying one, but this one is a 32GB, brand new and I got a great deal. Last year I kept score at my son's ball games on my iPhone. I can't wait till this season starts so I can keep score on my iPad and not have to wear glasses!

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I just got my iPad yesterday. I never could really justify buying one, but this one is a 32GB, brand new and I got a great deal. Last year I kept score at my son's ball games on my iPhone. I can't wait till this season starts so I can keep score on my iPad and not have to wear glasses!

Got mine Saturday and I feel you on the glasses! ;) How tiny does your iPhone feel now?! LOL!

Acint1924

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I am so love with my iPad 2! Just recently sent it back in to exchange it for the 3G model and I am going crazy without it. I ended up writing an article on my blog about how big of a role it now plays in my daily "internet life"

themacfanatic

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro