Why MUST I have a computer to use the iPad??

SimpleAsItSeems

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
"I bought it because my iMac wouldn't turn on for some weird reason..." Really, that's the reason? Man, the iPad should be EXPECTED to let you down or you really didn't use your iMac for much...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, that's the trouble with kids these days... I have shoe laces older than you! :)

Scary part is in a few years, THESE will be the "good old days"... :)

LOL the scary part is in a few years kids will be like You watched non HD, 2D channels!!!!! :eek: LOL

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
again, some one who never owned an iDevice before is not going to think of having to hook it up to a computer. I know I didn't when I got my first iPod touch back in 2007. I thought it was going to be much like the rest of the iPods, just turn it on and it will work.

No, you're not getting it. it's not about owning an iDevice before. It's about wanting a product, any product that your spending 100's of dollars on, and not at least searching prior to gain any knowledge on the product. You just buy 100's of dollars worth of kit on a whim? no research? you sound like a smart guy, I am sure you do...

Had the OP just spent 5 min, looking into the device prior to purchasing, this thread wouldn't exist...

Reactions: anon(52425)

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No, you're not getting it. it's not about owning an iDevice before. It's about wanting a product, any product that your spending 100's of dollars on, and not at least searching prior to gain any knowledge on the product. You just buy 100's of dollars worth of kit on a whim? no research? you sound like a smart guy, I am sure you do...

Had the OP just spent 5 min, looking into the device prior to purchasing, this thread wouldn't exist...

while you are correct YOU are NOT getting what I'm talking about. No one is gonna think "oh I need to see if I need to connect this to a computer before I start using it" Only if you are an Apple fan. Not a every day general consumer. (the ones who dont spend their online life on tech sites) Its easy for you to say that because you like Apple and already know about the iPad. He did not. Theres a HUGE difference.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm still asking myself why oh why didn't the OP take his iMac in and ask why it wouldn't turn on????? Once again I stand by my original comment, when spending hundreds of dollars on anything electronic, there's no need to spend hours on tech sites, simply ask, how do I set it up once it's out of the box!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
while you are correct YOU are NOT getting what I'm talking about. No one is gonna think "oh I need to see if I need to connect this to a computer before I start using it" Only if you are an Apple fan. Not a every day general consumer. (the ones who dont spend their online life on tech sites) Its easy for you to say that because you like Apple and already know about the iPad. He did not. Theres a HUGE difference.

Usually once I state my arguement I don't bother trying to change anyone's mind who can't see my point. However your Apple fan comment and your negative cannotation to people who spend all day on tech sites as opposed to cool people who have a real life, just really got to me. I fail to see why you have to go into the whole Apple fan aka fanboy routine so what people like Apple, so what they are loyal to a brand what does that hav to do with common sense? I guess it excuses anyone who isn't "Apple Fan" from needing to ask questions, look up stuff. Your logic doesn't hold water that regular people just walk into stores and buy over $500 items on a whim. I have seen everday people in all kinds of stores from hardware to electronics and most times it's them who ask the most questions because us lowly Apple Fans or people who are on tech sites already know more than the sales people anyway. The simple fact is the iPad was made to connect to a computer to be setup, this is it's intended programming so blaming Apple because that's not what you thought and planning to not buy their products to me is silly. There are many ways to get info by asking the sales person, by looking it up online, and all the other resources out there. I think the OP was just ranting which is cool and I was just commenting no hard judgements just saying my logic to the situation.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

I'm not sure why you keep posting as if YOU are not an apple fan. Why else are you here? You own an ipad. You've been on here and other forums wanting an iphone. You said yourself you couldn't get one and had to settle for an Evo.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Upon purchasing it I was absolutely thrilled with myself. I immediately stopped at the house, opened up everything...my new Bluetooth keyboard, the iPad, the Knomo case. All of it was useless.

I could not use the device. I bought it because my iMac wouldn't turn on for some weird reason and here I was unable to use this new device either. I was then forced to have my girlfriend bring her laptop along just so I could connect to iTunes to register the device. Quite frankly, had she not beenable to do it that night I would have returned the iPad.

Why such absurd requirements exist on Apple devices is beyond me...but I am not convinced I will buy another one of their products for while. As much as I like the iPad, I only bought it because I was in a pinch, but had I had time to consider other devices, and had I known about the annoying setup, I likely would have chosen something else.

It's not an absurd requirement from Apple's point of view.

Keep in mind that iOS devices are managed with itunes for a reason. This is an advantage.

The average person needs their hand held. Making the customer sync is step one. Which means they're also backing up their ipad, have an itunes account, etc. Trust me, apple wants you using itunes on the desktop.

How many nontechies would be screwed if they didn't use a computer to sync their iOS device? Oops..lost my contacts. Lost everything. Umm..what apps did i have again?

So while it could be considered a pain to have to sync with a computer for activation, updates, etc, it's also by design and for your own good. As well as Apple's.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to be a fanboy, tech savvy, or even do research to know this info. You need to be able to read. All he had to do was read the box it came in and he would know that you need to hook it up. This reminds me of a court case I studied in college. Guy is throwing his baby in the air and catching him underneath a ceiling fan. One of the times he tosses the baby too high and the baby gets wacked by the fan blade. Guy sues the fan company for not providing a warning label about that. This country is fool of idiots and it's always someone else's fault.

JNM

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Magical, revolutionary...this is what heard, read, saw on commercials. I have never been into Apple iThingies like many here have been for years. I assumed that this device would magically be of use immediately so I could join the revolution ;)

I had to go back to a traditional computer to make the revolution start...at which point it seemed less than magical.

Still a very useful tool. It is my only "computer" to this day. It was just a disappointing start.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Magical, revolutionary...this is what heard, read, saw on commercials. I have never been into Apple iThingies like many here have been for years. I assumed that this device would magically be of use immediately so I could join the revolution ;)

I had to go back to a traditional computer to make the revolution start...at which point it seemed less than magical.

Still a very useful tool. It is my only "computer" to this day. It was just a disappointing start.

Thats why you dont assume anything. You decided to purchase a product, look into it a little before hand. Magical, revolutionary are marketing terms. Don't ever believe any hype.

Have fun with your iPad

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I guess I'm just at loss of thought from you buying he iPad before even attempting to find out what was wrong with your iMac as if it would be the solution to your first problem. But to each his own. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods