hi all

i understand that i can charge my shiny new ipad via my car cigarette lighter socket or via my pc when connected to itunes.

shame on you apple for disabling these charging option, when my wife just spent a small fortune on this gadget. what gives you the right to say how i can charge my device.

anyway rant over, is there anway i can charge it via lighter socket or computer, by the ways of an app or something via cydia.

cheers all
    12-29-2010 07:26 AM
    hi all

i understand that i can charge my shiny new ipad via my car cigarette lighter socket or via my pc when connected to itunes.

shame on you apple for disabling these charging option, when my wife just spent a small fortune on this gadget. what gives you the right to say how i can charge my device.

anyway rant over, is there anway i can charge it via lighter socket or computer, by the ways of an app or something via cydia.

cheers all
    Uh..What are you talking about? I can charge via lighter sock in car. I can also charge from computer as long as iPad screen is off (locked).

I think that is what you are saying.
    12-29-2010 08:19 AM
    i have plugged it into computer and in top right corner near battery it says " not charging " same with socket in car

my wife looked on the web on some site and it says can only charge via plug socket
    12-29-2010 08:23 AM
    Im not sure about the car charging but I can charge my iPad via USB even if it is not connected to iTunes. I think I heard that iPad is not charging via USB when connected to non Apple Computers.
    12-29-2010 10:30 AM
    That's dumb. I read it's a power supply problem.
    12-29-2010 11:03 AM
    mobile,

you could be right my computer is not an apple, i might try it on my friends mac.

will have a read about the power supply problem.
    12-29-2010 11:22 AM
    USB will charge the iPad while the screen is OFF.. While though if turned back on, charging will stop and state NOT CHARGING. This is painfully slow though. The iPad is not an iPod or iPhone and requires more power. Would you complain about your laptop/netbook not charging from another computer. Plug it into the wall, as you do with your other computers.
    12-29-2010 12:45 PM
    P.S. More modern USB will charge while on because of regulated power supply. E.G. The the new pro's
    12-29-2010 12:47 PM
    I use Griffen brand and Scosche brand USB chargers while in the car and they work great even with the screen on. I don't have a jail broken iPad.
    12-30-2010 12:21 AM
    fair comment lordzod.
    i can see where your coming from.
    i think we just expect a bit too much, by that i mean just about every other apple deivce we can charge thru usb or car lighter socket and when something new is brought out, we expect the same.

cheers tony
    12-30-2010 04:00 AM
    I have a Palm Pre and love the touchstone charging system. That would also be cool for the iPad. Maybe that may be on the horizon for the iPad 2?
    01-01-2011 11:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD