Predictions: 1st gen iPad line come March 2011

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
What do you guys think will happen to the first generation line of iPads in march? Or whenever the iPad 2 is released? Will apple stop selling them? Stop selling some of them, like stop selling wifi only or something? Will they drop in price, and if so, what price point will apple be seeing them at?

The reason I ask is because I'm actually very satisfied with my 16 gig wifi only 1st gen iPad, and have been thinking about getting more for around the house, or for members of the family. I'm wondering if the iPad 2 would be too good to pass up, or if I'd rather get more of the first gen when and if they drop in price in the future.

Thought? Thanks.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd guess Apple will only sell refurbs after iPad 2 is out. Almost none of the suggestions here for the new iPad features interest me except maybe the higher screen rez. Frex, I think video conferencing a waste of bandwidth. If I want to TALK to someone, I don't need to see his face to TALK to him. The idea of using something having this form factor to take pix or video is laughable.

Some stuff like lighter or gorilla glass are improvements, but not enough to get me off of my V1.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes. All a waste of time, effort and bandwidth. I don't have a webcam in any computer.

What kind of computer do you own?

and waste of effort and bandwidth. I would think 98% of the videos on You Tube would more more in line with that.

Webcams are nice, being able to not only talk, but see grandma from accross the country.

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I only worry about wasting bandwidth when there is a cap, or the caps r too low. I don't like the cap trend I'm seeing with mobile carriers :(

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
What kind of computer do you own?

and waste of effort and bandwidth. I would think 98% of the videos on You Tube would more more in line with that.

Webcams are nice, being able to not only talk, but see grandma from accross the country.

Build it myself Win 7 64. My wife has an iMac where she sometimes uses Skype to F2F chat. Beats me what is gained by the F part of chat.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget the way Apple rolls out their newer models, it will still take 6 months or so for iPad2 to fully deploy globally so the iPad 1 will sell on and the iPad2 will sell very well on the NIB market for those who want it but don't want to wait. Remember the $5k eBay auctions, I like my MBA but I would not spend $5k on one six months early.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The furor over iPad 1 won't be repeated in 2 because the iPad a known commodity which now is widely owned. Barring something totally unbelievable as to feature enhancement, I just can't see an equal fuss. Yeah, there will be fuss unless Jobs has lost his touch and the 2 is a dud. It may be. It may be another sort of fizzle iike the current iteration of the iPod.

Rumor is that production will start later this month and sales in April. If so, there should be more than enough for the early adopters. What I'm curious to see are the pre release rumors.

Batting1000

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I think they will do the same thing they have done with the iPod Touch and iPhone. They will just slide it down, add a new one, and lower the price of the previous generation.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I think they will do the same thing they have done with the iPod Touch and iPhone. They will just slide it down, add a new one, and lower the price of the previous generation.

I hope you're right! My hubby decided NOT to get me an iPad for Christmas because he wants to wait to see if 1st gen gets cheaper when 2 releases. I know he'll feel bad for waiting if it doesn't.

(In his defense, I told him I didn't reeeeally need one since I have an iPhone 4...) ;)

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I hope you're right! My hubby decided NOT to get me an iPad for Christmas because he wants to wait to see if 1st gen gets cheaper when 2 releases. I know he'll feel bad for waiting if it doesn't.

(In his defense, I told him I didn't reeeeally need one since I have an iPhone 4...) ;)

I'm sure the iPad 1 will be cheaper after the 2 shows unless the 2 is an amazing dud. You may need a used but like new one if Apple doesn't continue the 1 but you will get one.

I also thought that the iPad was silly given I have the iPhone 4. That lasted about 1 minute into my iPad ownership experience.