So my Palm Pre is getting a little long in the tooth, Sprint does not offer iPhone, and I am not a fan of Android. Nothing I want to waste my upgrade on.

One of my biggest wants is a smooth platform with a competitive and varied market for Apps. Bingo, I'm now the proud owner of a 1 week old iPad. Glad I got it just in time to start using 4.2.1! This is a glorious piece of hardware with great software.

But I have 2 concerns...

Despite never having any problems with tethering from my Pre in the past, the iPad refuses to get a downstream of more than 150kbps from my Pre's mobile hot spot. Other computers and devices get up to 2mbps. It's very frustrating especially since this seems to be a common problem exclusive to the Pre/iPad tethering combo. I've asked many sources, so now I'm hoping you iPad owners may be able to help.

Second, I'm wondering what to do about some apps. I've always had my eye on some iOS games since they're launch. Zenonia and it's ilk especially. But now that I got an iPad, instead of an iPhone or iPod, I'm wondering if it's just a matter of time before those games are ported to iPad, and should I wait instead of buying the zoomed in iPhone versions.

Can't wait until some smart fellow gives us a 4.2.1 jailbreak. In the mean time I'm learning all about my new awesome device and having a lot of fun!
    12-06-2010 02:47 AM
    Awesome news! I'm in the same boat, old pre, new iPad, my mobile hotspur didn't work at all when I tried it though... Luckily for me I'm actually on a 3G iPad, and never need the hotspur anyways. I think it honestly might just be something you'll have to put up with though, cause wifi is super silly to troubleshoot.

Jailbreak exists, it's a tethered jailbreak via redsn0w. Meaning the iPad needs to be plugged to your computer to restart it if battery dies or you shut down.

Well good luck with everything else, hopefully you'll find the solutions to all your problems!
    grizzlyaddams likes this.
    12-06-2010 03:23 AM
    Do i lose any ability to use the official app store if i jb my iPad? And with tethered jb, the device won't turn back on at all without connecting to a computer? Not even in an unjailbroken state? And lastly as I've read it seems no matter what if i want to unjailbreak and go pure again all i need to do is restore via iTunes?
    12-06-2010 06:43 AM
    You'll still have access to the Apple app store, but be car full of the apps you download from the jailbreak. Download the wrong one and your device is broke.
    12-06-2010 07:03 AM
    Do i lose any ability to use the official app store if i jb my iPad? And with tethered jb, the device won't turn back on at all without connecting to a computer? Not even in an unjailbroken state? And lastly as I've read it seems no matter what if i want to unjailbreak and go pure again all i need to do is restore via iTunes?
    True you can always restore. Also remember if you u/g iOS from iTunes you'll have to re-jailbreak the iPad again.
    12-06-2010 09:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD