Is this a problem with a used iPad?

ipadwannabe

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Say I buy a used iPad from Best Buy or the like, one returned to the store.

If an apple power user was just using it for a short while then returned it to get a better model but still has it in their mobile me, can they harrass me with it?

Is there a way to wipe the iPad to remove any connections to the previous owner in the iPad options?

Just wondering. That's probably been one irrational fear of mine, because I am too darn cheap to buy one labelled "new" (even though these days of profiteering even new ones shipped from Apple might even be "refurbished" instead. Seen it before in a Mac anyway).

Thanks for the advice, if there is any.

My guess is the suggestions will be just to see if it can be swapped but we'll see :D

Sorry for rambling... I tend to talk like a crazy one.

alpha752

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Just do a restore in iTunes, and select set up as a new iPad. All their info should be gone and you can set it up as your own.

ipadwannabe

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
So that should theoretically remove any chance of some person sending harassing remarks via mobile me, and let me set it up on my own? =D (In Mobile Me I mean)

If so I'll probably pick up an iPad in a few weeks!

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Say I buy a used iPad from Best Buy or the like, one returned to the store.

If an apple power user was just using it for a short while then returned it to get a better model but still has it in their mobile me, can they harrass me with it?

Is there a way to wipe the iPad to remove any connections to the previous owner in the iPad options?

Just wondering. That's probably been one irrational fear of mine, because I am too darn cheap to buy one labelled "new" (even though these days of profiteering even new ones shipped from Apple might even be "refurbished" instead. Seen it before in a Mac anyway).

Thanks for the advice, if there is any.

My guess is the suggestions will be just to see if it can be swapped but we'll see :D

Sorry for rambling... I tend to talk like a crazy one.

Best Buy will not resale the "used" ipad. If anything it will get sent back to Apple.

The only way you will get someones elses info is if you buy off e-bay and they forgot to restore it/

alpha752

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
So that should theoretically remove any chance of some person sending harassing remarks via mobile me, and let me set it up on my own? =D (In Mobile Me I mean)

If so I'll probably pick up an iPad in a few weeks!

Chris above is right, Best buy, Apple or any other retailer wont sell you an iPad that has others stuff on it. Even if its refurbished, it will be in a factory state with nothing but the default apps on it.

If you get one from ebay, craigslist, or a friend and they didnt wipe it (which would be stupid on their part), then restoring it on your iTunes will wipe it clean.

They will not be able to track you with Mobileme or anything like that. Restore wipes the data and makes it like new.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Best Buy does sell used iPads, well sort of. If you bought one and returned it they will mark it as an open box for a slight discount. But it would need to be in the original condition, so no apps etc installed.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy does sell used iPads, well sort of. If you bought one and returned it they will mark it as an open box for a slight discount. But it would need to be in the original condition, so no apps etc installed.

I never seen them there. I just see blue shirts bug the hell out of customers even though they don't work on commission.

lawls

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I've never seen an open box one at best buy/future shop before either but I know that they do it because I returned my iPad wifi after two days to get the 3G one, and the sales person checked it out and slapped an open box sticker on it. But once you do a restore in iTunes it will all be your stuff

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2