How happy are you with iOS 4.2 for iPad

Astonv122803

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
IOS 4.2 came out last week and since I've been enjoying multitasking and gamecenter (on gamecenter I'm called Astonv1228, add me please). I have found a few problems like crashes during multitasking but it hardly ever happens. I was wondering has anyone else had the same or any other problems and how people where enjoying or hating iOS 4.2.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Battery life seems to be not quite as good. Not bad battery life, but not as efficient as pre 4.2. Anyone else experiencing this?

jeffskent

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I had a hard time downloading the 4.2.1 update. I repeatedly lost connectivity and lost the segment already downloaded. Success finally, but the update turned into a complete restore. After the restore, no problems so far. No crashes to speak of. I now have 16 folders only on one page. Plenty of room for frequently used icons on the home screen, if I wish. Lastly, the back up and sync on the iPad has improved significantly. Now the backup portion of sync typically takes a lot less than 5 minutes almost all of the time. I am pleasantly pleased.

One off topic question please. Since each application never closes, but only saves its state in the multi tasking lower window thing, would one not end up with every app you ever run in a saved state in the saved state area? Shirley this would eat up memory un necessarily? I've read that the OS will close apps if it needs more memory, but wouldn't it be better if the saved state apps were closed on their own, or at least by a clean memory command? No problem so far, just asking.

Astonv122803

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If you need to close an app, double press the home button to get up the fast app switcher and then hold you're finger on an app like you would to delete one, then tap the - icon in the top left of the app to close the app, don't worry it doesn't delete it it just closes it so next time you open the app it restarts rather than where you left off, this saves battery and opens up some more space to continue using more apps.

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I got mine right after 4.2.1 was announced, so I never spent much time on the previous os... But coming from the multitasking on the palm pre, it's annoying enough dealing with the "multitasking" we have now. I can't imagine trying to deal with it, having no multitasking whatsoever!

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Battery life seems to be not quite as good. Not bad battery life, but not as efficient as pre 4.2. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yer gonna have that with multitasking. Shut down unneeded apps and the battery will be the same. Mine is.

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I got mine right after 4.2.1 was announced, so I never spent much time on the previous os... But coming from the multitasking on the palm pre, it's annoying enough dealing with the "multitasking" we have now. I can't imagine trying to deal with it, having no multitasking whatsoever!
I got an iPad the day before the update. I use a pre as my only phone. With being acquainted with webos, I wish I could swipe up to get rid of active apps instead of holding an icon, then pressing x on each. Apps still need to be optimized for multitasking so that they stay in that saved state u left them in. I think it's ridiculous that u couldn't leave pandora and still listen to it before the update. I think the quick app switching thing could have replaced the dock all together, so u still just press the home button once. And the orientation lock is too many gestures away now also, but wouldn't mind if there were orientation control gestures wile locked as mentioned in the last iPad live podcast.

The ram isn't really enough for power user multitasking, but thats ok.

I'm satisfied with the update, but I could be happier

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I love the update I had iOS 4 on the iPhone 4 since July so it was annoying having to alter my use when I get on the iPad. I like the folders and multi-tasking on the iPad. I've also noticed that Angry Birds runs alot faster for some reason and I haven't updated the app anyone else notice this? The battery life is better on 4.2 I've had it sitting for 3 days and it was only down to 43%