I've connected my iPad to iTunes to update to iOS 4.2. This iPad has not been connected to itunes since I bought it. I do have a few pages of apps installed. The usual backup and sync before updating is taking a long time. How long did it take your iPad to backup?
    This feels like the old iPhone backup problem from an earlier version of iTunes.
    11-24-2010 02:32 PM
    I never understand why folks don't backup more often. I plug it in every day and so the backup takes less than a minute.
    11-24-2010 03:32 PM
    First- no need for this thread. backup completed in a bit more than an hour. Second - I backup my iPhone daily (often more than once), but backing up the iPad is not a natural or necessary daily function for many users.
    11-24-2010 04:03 PM
    After 12 hours overnight my iPad reached only half way through the back up process.

This was whilst I was trying to update to 4.2. Last backed up in September. In the end I just restored and set it up as a new iPad!
    11-24-2010 05:58 PM
    It really depends on how much you have on your ipad.
    11-24-2010 05:59 PM
    I back up my iPad every 2 days or so. I have days when it takes 20 minutes and days when it takes less than a minute. I've heard that there are apps that create lots of small files in their repository and when backing up it takes a lot of time to back up those files. I don't know if this is true but it does makes sense. I always notice that the backup process takes longer when I install the kindle app on my iPad. Once I uninstall it everything goes well.
    11-25-2010 02:47 AM
    In case it wasn't obvious to all: iPad backups should be much faster once the iPad is upgraded to a 4.x OS because iOS 4.0 introduced the notion of incremental backups. Prior to iOS4 an iPhone would back up any app where any data changed - the entire app's data - now it only backs up individual data elements that have actually changed in the app's documents folder. For example I am running an app called ScanBizCards with around 2,000 scanned images of business cards: on the iPad it backs up all 2,000 cards each but only the changed/new cards on the iPhone.
    farbod21 and lorin.bute like this.
    11-25-2010 12:20 PM
    No longer than 3 minutes. It depends on how much data your apps are using. For apps which depend on user generated data can become quite large to backup.
    11-29-2010 10:49 AM
    Yeah it depends on how much information you got on there really. It's syncing all your apps, and 3d games take a while for it, movies or music will also. I would just sync it up to the computer often, make a habit out of it, at least a couple times a week, if not every day, then it never takes more than a minute or a few seconds.
    Actively backing up in case of emergency never hurt anybody either :P
    11-29-2010 01:26 PM
    Mine took forever. I know it's my fault, from day one, it never touched iTunes. So when I went to back-up before 4.2 it took ages beacuse of all the junk I've aquired since launch. They are right though, every so often, just plug it in while you're sitting at the computer anyway, and back it up. Would save you some time in the long run.
    11-29-2010 01:35 PM
    Is there any way to wirelessly backup the iPad over the network instead of connecting to a host computer?
    12-10-2010 01:42 PM
    not as far as I know, not yet, maybe there is a JB app for that?
    12-10-2010 03:50 PM
    It used to take FOR-EVER. But the last time I backed it up, which was a few days ago, it took about three to five minutes, tops. Good enough for me. I have a 64GB unit that's about 1/3rd filled.
    12-15-2010 01:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD