In a way, it has for me. I use my iPad more then my laptop when it comes to being mobile. I even thought of my next computer purchase being a desktop for the sake of better performance and just use my iPad when I want to be on the go web brosweing.
    10-28-2010 10:24 AM
    I don't use a desktop anymore but I am more and more dissapointed in my iPad. I find that I often have to get out my notebook to look at web pages that the iPad can't see because it doesn't support Flash. Really annoying!
    10-28-2010 08:53 PM
    Not at all... I have been using a laptop of one flavor or another since 1996. I'm not a hardcore gamer, and both my Windows laptops (in the past) and my current MacBook Pro serve me well. No desire to go back to a fixed, heavy, non-portable desktop for any reason. In fact, the iPad has simply reinforced my feeling that "mobile computing" is the way to go...
    10-28-2010 09:01 PM
    I'm frequently surprised that desktops are still manufactured and sold. They don't offer any more than a laptop these days unless you are the kind of person who prefers a custom build. I have more (everything) on my laptop with a dock at home than I have on my desktop at work.
    10-29-2010 06:47 AM
    I use the desktop only for games. Unfortunately you can't beat the performance of a desktop computer when it comes to state of the art video games.
    10-29-2010 07:17 AM
    I agree with lorin. All my games are in my desktop though I have a few like Modern Warfare in my HP DV5 ( gaming laptop), it is smoother playing it on desktop.
    10-29-2010 07:32 AM
    In a way, it has for me. I use my iPad more then my laptop when it comes to being mobile. I even thought of my next computer purchase being a desktop for the sake of better performance and just use my iPad when I want to be on the go web brosweing.
    I have done exactly that,

I now have a desktop for performance and an iPad just for web browsing and checking mail etc.:o

I find the lack of flash on the iPad has become very annoying!!
    10-29-2010 08:56 AM
    I sold my Macbook Pro and now only use the iPad & iP4 for mobile computing. I have a nice 27" iMac at home so when I feel like sitting at the desk it is waiting for me.
    10-30-2010 12:24 PM
    I sold my Macbook Pro and now only use the iPad & iP4 for mobile computing. I have a nice 27" iMac at home so when I feel like sitting at the desk it is waiting for me.
    My desk is like 3 feet from my bed, so I could just move the desk or move the bed.
    10-30-2010 05:15 PM
    It's funny to see this thread because I was thinking this same thing not 2 days ago, even stopped shopping for a laptop to find a good desktop. The iPad has been an official laptop killer for me. It's all in how you use a laptop that makes that decision but everything, business or personal, that I want to do on the go is easily handled by my iPad. Great post and I totally agree!
    10-31-2010 11:24 AM
    Desktops will always be around because the laptop uses miniaturized versions of full size components. This is why desktops are always more powerful than laptops of the same era. I also use my desktop as a server and gaming rig, laptop for work and i4 and iPad for basic browsing, email, gaming etc.
    10-31-2010 07:13 PM
    I haven't used my PC in ages! I dock my laptop with a wireless keyboard and mouse when at my desk and I am good to go... And when I really am going I rarely pack that up anymore, I just take my iPad. I am not a gamer so I don't foresee a new PC anytime soon.
    11-01-2010 08:44 AM
    That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing. My iPad is all I need for mobile computing.
    11-01-2010 03:43 PM
    I really don't think that I could really replace my laptop with an iPad for now. Don't get me wrong, I like the iPad but after using my friend's for a week I felt it was lacking a lot of features that I generally use on the daily basis. I think I was having a laptop withdrawal. I will just have to wait for the iPod 2G to come out and hoping that it will be lighter in weight, with larger hard drive capacity, and a littler smaller in size so that its easier to hold on to.
    11-01-2010 04:05 PM
    With me, I dont see the ipad as a computer replacement. I see it as like an internet hub. Sure theres no flash, but whast do I need it for? Youtube? You the Youtube app. Viemo? They are in hTML 5 now. Games? Hello! the app store! I dont visit that much flash based sites anyway.
    11-01-2010 04:50 PM
    I still use my desktop just as much as ever since getting my iPad 2 months ago. However it has totally killed my need / desire to use my Macbook. I really used my it for mobile web browsing and checking email, essentially nothing that I cannot do with my iPad.
    11-02-2010 09:12 AM
    I officially took my laptop out of my bag this week, took me a while but the ipad officially retried it. I use my desktop for work related stuff and things I can just do faster on the pc... Other than that, it's ipad all day. I really could use a smaller bag now, no sense in carrying around a bag made for a 17" laptop with a 10" iPad in it.
    11-19-2010 10:06 PM
    When I logon to Logmein I see 2 XP PCs, an Windows 7, and my newest, my MacBook Air. So I can legitimately ask, what is a desktop?
    11-20-2010 04:07 PM
    I still use my desktop just as much as ever since getting my iPad 2 months ago. However it has totally killed my need / desire to use my Macbook. I really used my it for mobile web browsing and checking email, essentially nothing that I cannot do with my iPad.
    Same here. I use my iMac regularly. To me it is a must for photo editing and I just love that big screen. Otherwise I take my iPad to work to use during breaks, and at home when it is recliner/tv time it is my lap ready to go. My Macbook is tucked away in a travel case to use as a backup only.
    11-21-2010 10:40 AM
    Gotta agree with the OP, its perfect, use the iPad to surf the web, use AIM, FB all those fun things and use a desktop for necessary things.
    11-21-2010 12:00 PM
    I am actually prepping my 2007 iMac for OSX 10.7 by swapping out the hard drive with an SSD and buying a Magic Track Pad to use in addition to my mouse and keyboard (from left to right, magic track pad, keyboard, mouse).
    11-21-2010 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD